Need a Bichir ID'd

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
Oh i know all about clown loaches. I've had quite a few over the years and they are one of the main reasons I'm getting back into fish keeping. The tank also quite with a 5" blue botia but the two don't hang together which is what I've experienced in the past. Anybody have any recommendations on where to pic up a couple more large ones for a good price. If prices are like they were 10 years ago I know he's go for about $100 at minimum.

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
Ornate was my second choice. So IF I was going to sell him, which I don't plan to but IF, what would be the going price for him?

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
thats an ornate lol. Colors could be due to long line of captive breeding, or there are ornate hybrids floating around though rarer in the hobby. but agreed with above, Dr B or any of the other 500 extremely qualified authorities on polys will tell you for sure.

my measely two cents is just ornate however.

Bro, you are one of those 500!!...... you are correct. Ornates come in all shades!!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Bro, you are one of those 500!!...... you are correct. Ornates come in all shades!!
haha naw man, just a poly enthusiast. You guys with the massive collections and polys of all shapes and sizes are far more knowledgeable.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Ornate was my second choice. So IF I was going to sell him, which I don't plan to but IF, what would be the going price for him?
how long is he/how bad is the deformity on the tail?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Oh i know all about clown loaches. I've had quite a few over the years and they are one of the main reasons I'm getting back into fish keeping. The tank also quite with a 5" blue botia but the two don't hang together which is what I've experienced in the past. Anybody have any recommendations on where to pic up a couple more large ones for a good price. If prices are like they were 10 years ago I know he's go for about $100 at minimum.
for a CL at 5"+ range ya you are looking around that for sure. my 2 biggest in my group at about 4.5" or so, and they weren't what I would consider cheap by fish keeping standards hahaha.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
actually I'll retract my questions and tell you probably between 40-50 bucks. Just due to the deformity though in some pics he looks ok, others like you stated he seems to be missing parts of his tail fins.

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
Ya it sucks and I'm not sure how fresh it is or how long he was kept with the Oscars but hopefully there's that small chance he may grow it back out. Also forgot to mention he was also being kept with a large pleco and I know they have the tenancy to try to suck on non-scaley fish. Then there's the 3 large Raphael cats he was shacked up with and not sure if they have any part of it.

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
@Predatorfishkeeper87, Have any suggestions where I could get a couple more for a good price. Don't have to be his exact size because I know he's be happier even with a couple that are around the 4" range.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
@Predatorfishkeeper87, Have any suggestions where I could get a couple more for a good price. Don't have to be his exact size because I know he's be happier even with a couple that are around the 4" range.
clowns are happy together regrdless of size in my experience but with the poly you have to worry about predation so I would try making a want to buy thread in the marketplace here, tangledupincichlids.com, or actually the vendors section here would be a good place to find great guys to buy from. I buy my clowns local man so I'm no expert on the internet purchasing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store