Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
0 - 0.25 ppm
If yes, what is your nitrite?
0 ppm
If yes, what is your nitrate?
20 ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
41-50%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I'm getting concerned about my Dovii & really need some experienced advice here. Sorry for the long post but I want to give as much detail as possible to give a clear 'bigger' picture of the situation & hopefully get back some detailed suggestions or answers.

I've had him for a few weeks now, he's 17in long. Came from a tank where he had lived with his girl for about 5-6 years, until he killed her. Apparently they bred quite alot in that time & he was always really aggressive towards people.
Before I was able to pick him up he had been moved from his tank into a round plastic tub due to previous owner wanting different fish in his main tank. Apparently he had been in the tub for a week or so, but obviously I'm not 100% sure of the time period or water parameters during this time.
When I got him home he was put in a temporary 4ft tank for a few days until my 6 x 2.5 x 2.5 had finished cycling. He has been in this larger tank for about 3 weeks now.
He also came with 4 very juvenile Dovii from the same tank (his offspring), only 2 of them left now, they are also in his big tank with him (hiding in rock caves).

Water parameters: using API test kit.
pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0 - 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm
Temp: 28*C / 82F.
WC's: 50% every 4-5 days. 1x cup salt added each time.
Substrate: Black iron sand.
Furniture: Driftwood & hard basalt rock.
Filtration: 5 x 1.5 x 1.5 ft sump with fine wool, sponge sheets, jap mat, k1, ceramic noodles, sponge filters, airstones.
Tank mates: 2 young/small female dovii.
Light: Blue Planet LED Track system.

Ok so here are the issues I've been trying to deal with....

1. He has hardly eaten since I've had him & looks to have a very sunken belly now. His previous owner gave me some Hikari Cichlid Gold pellets but he is not interested in them, has grabbed a couple but spat them back out. I fed him thawed raw prawns soaked in garlic & crushed up pellets, he ate some but it was super messy so I tried putting some pellets into the prawn, he spat them out once he realised I had tried to trick him. He will take an occasional raw prawn but not many. I have dropped a few live freshwater crays/lobbys in & he has eaten them, but again leaves quite a mess & you never know if they have parasites or not. Today I bought Northfin Carnivore 10mm pellets hoping he would smash them, still not interested.
About 2-3 weeks ago I mentioned it to the guy at LFS & he suggested worm treating him so I treated his tank with Wormer Plus. Still no improvement in eating.

2. About a week or so after I got him I noticed a small hole forming in his head, I upped WC's (50%) to daily for a good week or so & that seemed to stop any further holes forming.
A week ago I was also told by LFS to do a PP dip for 30mins at 4ppm.
I did this & the hole does seem to look like it's slowly healing with no secondary infection.
When I removed him from PP dip & put him back into his tank he just sat on the bottom for the rest of the day breathing heavy, by the next day he was back up & swimming slowly but has seemed a little off since that dip &I have noticed that his eyes also now seem to be cloudy as if damaged from the PP.

The lack of eating & occurrence of HITH, I initially thought could have been due to the stress of moving.

3. Just today I have noticed what looks to me like an Anchor Worm on his side. I would have thought the PP dip &previous working would have prevented this, the only thing added to his tank since these 2 treatments was a few live crays to try & get him to eat, so I'm guessing they may have some into the tank with them.

So, to sum all that up.... (Thanks if you're still reading this far!)
- He's still not eating well, refusing pellets & has sunken belly. Any suggestions to get him eating or thoughts on why he isn't eating?
- Behaves kinda sluggish (for a Dovii) & hides as much as he swims around.
- Has cloudy eyes after PP dip (pic attached). Does it look damaged/blind?
- HITH hole seems to be healing but has patches of 'spongey' looking skin around his head (see pic). Is this early signs of new holes?
- Appears to have Anchor Worm (see pic). What is the best treatment for this?

I really hope to get this guy back to 100% health & I appreciate any advice & help here.

20200507_173500.jpg

20200507_172940.jpg

20200507_172822.jpg

20200507_172428.jpg

20200507_171842.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d suggest for the anchor worm. Just pulling them off with a tweezer. Try to avoid giving more meds. Especially if it’s just the two in the pics. I’d also get some hex shield and stuff the raw prawn with it and feed it to the fish. May have to soak in garlic. Keep the water clean. Best of luck.

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
I'm leaning toward Hex with the pits in the head and him spitting out food. Hex shield is Metronidazole, epsom salts and a double dose of garlic. All very helpful against Hex attack. Really try to get him to eat Metro. Even if he makes a mess, there's a good chance he will eat some Metro anyway.

Going forward, really evaluate his nutrition and water parameters. Good conditions helped (daily water changes) but make sure the hardness is proper for your fish.

Luke tomkinson

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2019
In an arapaima
www.youtube.com
I’d suggest for the anchor worm. Just pulling them off with a tweezer. Try to avoid giving more meds. Especially if it’s just the two in the pics. I’d also get some hex shield and stuff the raw prawn with it and feed it to the fish. May have to soak in garlic. Keep the water clean. Best of luck.
agreed

MonsterMate

Feeder Fish
Apr 4, 2020
Unfortunately we can't get Hex-Shield in Australia, I have already contacted NLS directly to ask them. I believe Metro can only be prescribed by a vet here. I have tried to avoid using it but I will definitely get it if any new holes start to appear or the existing gets worse. Are those spongey looking areas a sign of disease?
I also wanted to avoid getting him out of the tank again (stress) which is why I thought I'd ask about any other treatments to add to the tank for the Anchor Worm/s?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sponges areas don’t look like disease. If you cant get metro then just watch for now. There are medicated flakes being sold on eBay with metronidazole. Not sure how that’ll work but if ur able to get it.

For anchor worm, it’s either medicate or pull off. Can try a salt dip, 4tsp salt in 1g of water.

Other option is to add tannins into the tank and drop the ph slowly. Tannic acid has anti-bacterial and anti-parasitic properties. If u can do this then it’ll help to keep things from getting worse esp if ur ph is high. Prevent and treat possibly.

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
Can you get fish Vitamins (Boyd Vitachem)? Good nutrition is imperative against HITH. Oh and pristine water conditions and params.

You can try adding epsom salts and garlic to the pellet foods....
It has had some effect on Hexamita

You could squeeze a few drops of garlic juice from a clove into the soak.

I do not have access to fish meds either in my country :( Makes it really hard to obtain new fish.

Oscar Madison

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2019
Try large SUPERWORMS. Dovii’s can’t lay off them. It should get him eating. (I snip the heads off then throw them in. It’s quite a show from there.) I give mine 7 in morning then Tetra JumboMin food sticks throughout the day, up to six total. I’ve had great success. Just a suggestion.

Reactions: angelcrze
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store