Need help as a newbie: leaves rotting/plants dying

ruincccc

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2021
Hello, I recently set up a 40 G breeder to try out a planted tank. The tank is fully cycled just the plants are new. I planted the plants over 3 inches of lava rock/soil mix, and let the plants settle for 1 week before adding fish (a few 2'' Amazon puffer) back. I have the light scheduled with 8 hours on time. it has been about 3 weeks, but the leaves are rotting and plants even drying, can someone help with anything I may have done wrong? too much light? too little light?

IMG_7520.jpg

IMG_7521.jpg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Hi. I'm no no expert on plants, but Seachem flourish should help. I've been going back to real plants somewhat. I had trouble with hornwort! I discovered some plants don't like being rooted and do better floating. I find the seachem really helps plants acclimate after shipping...I put mine in a white bucket under bright led light while they soak in seachem for a week or so. I use higher doses to get them started...right now I have a mushy red sword I'm nursing back to health and its finally responding.

The hornwort was weird...90% mush in every tank except one, but it's taking off now. Oxygenation helps a lot. Root tabs in the substrate is an option too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store