Need info on RTC x Black earred paroon

I31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
omni
Anyone know how big they get and and any personal experience keeping one?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've only heard and seen RTC x paroon, at least that's what these fish were presented as. They are not a viable fish. I've never heard of RTCxBlack ear.

Reactions: AR1 and tlindsey

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I posted these guys in my own thread on Tuesday and they're from Predatoryfins identified as RTC/Black ears. Whether they truly are or not I have no idea but if they're not and are just RTC/Paroon I'm fine with that. As the biggerthebetter said though they may not be viable long-term as despite RTC/Pangasius being available for a long while now I haven't seen any pics or videos of adults, I can barely find any of juveniles. Because of their very small size this is probably the cheapest a Redtail/Pangasius hybrid has been available at. Meaning it could subjectively be the best time to experiment on picking one up, then again, they may become more readily available in the future so it's really a matter if you want it now and if you're unsure they'll become more readily available later on.

My larger and more expensive RTC/Paroon passed but in my case it was I believe my error so my experience is limited. The new little guys at least currently seem to be doing well(knock on wood). Having no issue with eating anything they're offered as long as it fits in their mouths. As they've settled I've seen aggression which I'm surprised to see at such a small size. At least I believe it's aggression as they're both extremely close to the same size, I mean I can't discern a difference, but I haven't measured either, so I don't think it's predatory or cannibalism. As for size catfish hybrids if they are viable tend to at least match the size of their parental species if not larger from hybrid vigor and it's better to overestimate IMHO than under.

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store