Need input from K1/Bio reactoir users

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
What are you guys using for air on your reactors?

What kind of airpumps and more importantly what kind of diffusers in the bottom?

I'm having issues and would like to know if general consensus is finer or courser bubbles?

Mine doesn't "boil". Trying to figure out if it's en equipment or design problem......

PICS would definetly help.....

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
I know you have been frustrated with the lack of good responses on your filtration questions. Sadly I am no help on this subject

I would pm vamptrev and ask him to post some info here if he could, I am also very interested in bio reactors :)

earthstudent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
Iowa
DB junkie;5023838; said:
What are you guys using for air on your reactors?

What kind of airpumps and more importantly what kind of diffusers in the bottom?

I'm having issues and would like to know if general consensus is finer or courser bubbles?

Mine doesn't "boil". Trying to figure out if it's en equipment or design problem......

PICS would definetly help.....
I am not using a bio reactor but I do know a thing or 2 about building stuff and I am guessing, if you are not getting the "Boiling" affect, than you are not running enough volume of air. I am also guessing you don't want the bubbles to be too small as smaller bubbles will not rise as fast as larger bubbles and will not create the speed of water flow that larger bubbles should produce. Once again, this is just my thoughts on the subject and what I would be thinking if I was going to build one and I actually am thinking about building one.

skynoch

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
I'm using the pondmaster ap-100 with 7 of the extra large diffuser balls from big als with valves going to each to adjust the pressure. The ap-100 is overkill as I designed it to be used with 2 50 gallon bio-reactors with 5 cubic feet of k1 in each but am only using it on one now. Hope this helps some

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
i will get u all my model #'s later

u may have too much media or not strong enough air

csx4236

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
USA
skynoch;5024058; said:
I'm using the pondmaster ap-100 with 7 of the extra large diffuser balls from big als with valves going to each to adjust the pressure. The ap-100 is overkill as I designed it to be used with 2 50 gallon bio-reactors with 5 cubic feet of k1 in each but am only using it on one now. Hope this helps some
I use two of these pumps to run my chamber so I would say one is way overkill and just buy large 12" airstones from place like aquatic eco systems you can also buy the center piece to attack all stones and has threaded connections for the pump inlet and stones. Can do either 6 or 8 per unit. I Run 8 with one of those pumps.

You just dont have enough air moving thru your barrel.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Ironic as I'm using the SAME pump mentioned here.

Tried the diffuser that comes with it. Tried several .7 cfm bubble bars, tried drilling PVC first small then large holes. The crap just sits on top of the water.

There shouldn't be any issue running 3 feet in a 55 gallon barrel should there? Planned on using 5 but dumped in just 3 to start and can't even get that tumbling.

Aquatic eco was backordered on the big bubble discs.... MIKE maybe you know something about this!?! lol

The bio reactors Aquatic eco offers us similar diameter barrels and thier's are supposed to work with like 1.5 cfm of air, yet I'm puishing over 5 and FAIL.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store