New 300 gal above ground turtle and koi pond pics

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
addicted2cichlids;1741924; said:
looking clean! plan on getting another redeared slider so the other one has some company?
I had got 2 when we got them but after hurricane Katrina my pond (in ground) overflowed even tho I had a drain hole. It was blocked my all my roof shingles that flew into the pond. So one of them was MIA when I finally got to go to my house (3 weeks later).

I did find another quarter size baby walking across my sidewalk at my new house a couple months ago. This one looks like a male if you can tell this small. The bottom shell is concaved and the tail looks long but its still a small turtle. I tried to put it in the pond too but my big one was eying it up like she wanted to snack on it so I put it back in its 10gal. I will put an egg crate divider in the pond to make a section for the small ones I get if she still wants to still eat them. I am looking to get some southern painted, mississippi maps, and spiny softshells for a total of 5 or so turtles.

So what can I add to the pond to jump start the cycle...is there any bactira in a bottle that works well for a pond?

Also the pond it outside my bead room window so I have a great view and I can open the window for some nice relaxing sounds of water crashing...ahhhhhhh

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Do you have any fish tanks in the house or at a friends house that you can get some gravel or used filter pads to add BB to the turtle water? Cycle is a product that can help, I have never tried it though. Throw some feeders in their, food and starters.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
I have a few fish in there and the turtle will all get it started but I just wanted something to try to speed it up. I dont have a tank in the house yet...thats next...I had to get the turtle out and in the pond so I can put a 240 in place of the turtle tank....

I might take one of the sponges out my turtle filter and stick it in the pond filter.....

ceeej31

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
New England
if you want other turtles i would go with yellow bellies, red bellies, and cooters

cichlid_dude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2008
Florida
The pond is looking really nice, your RES is probably ecstatic to have such a nicely furnished home and your little koi look nice in there too! The driftwood run-off is a cool idea; it looks really nice so far, some plants would make everything look really natural and give your koi extra places to chill! All it needs is a flat-screen!

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
nativelover;1747330; said:
i bet that RES will eat those KOI.
Only if they are sick. She has been with fish for a long long time in the last pond and never got one. I keep her fed well and the koi are to darn fast for her to really try 100%. Every now n then she will look at them like she will try but the koi dart away. And once they get a little bigger I dont think she will even look at them as food. We will see tho cuz it is still possible lol.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
As for the other types of turtles im not 100% yet on what im going to get...im going to do some more talking to some people who raise them to make sure they will be ok in the winter with nothing to dig into. My RES was fine in the inground pond but with this one above ground it has me a little worried. I saw a 6 deg temp swing yesterday from morning to afternoon. To me that seems like a lot.

I plan to ad some iris in some pots and some stuff on the back ledge to green it up some. I really want lilies but so does my RES lol.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store