New needle-nose gar super aggressive , need help

dudewheresmysupra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2021
Hello I had 2 needle-nose gars as a kid so I was super excited to get another one for my 120 gallon tank. He’s about 7 inches and has some marble spots which are really cool. We went & got 7 small minnows and he ate them all up quick, I went the next day to grab some crickets cos I’ve read that sometimes they will eat crickets & got 7 more minnows. Tried the crickets, no luck. Gobbled up the other minnows quick & then today he started nipping at my larger bloody heart tetras & full grown tiger barbs. My husband & I seen him take lil pieces of 2 of the tetras and eat it.. it’s pretty brutal how he just keeps attacking everything even the larger fish..
this guy was expensive & I really don’t wanna have to give him up but I’m scared for the rest of the fish in my tank. I have a 10 inch Senegal bichir in the tank that doesn’t mind these fish at all as they are all a fairly good size & round.
I have a group of 14 bloody heart tetras and 8 tiger barns he’s been constantly attacking.
Is there anyway I could get him to start eating other foods? I feed flakes , dried blood worms & frozen beefheart / Brine shrimp/ blood worms & meat pellets to the rest of the tank already. Thanks guys , this guy is pretty vicious

90D6E690-52BD-406D-863C-221C6E92FAC4.jpeg

F18D9AAB-AEE7-443F-A8E5-C8C4E0E8E934.jpeg

8C167DFA-0191-455D-B1EC-540A14800356.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello I had 2 needle-nose gars as a kid so I was super excited to get another one for my 120 gallon tank. He’s about 7 inches and has some marble spots which are really cool. We went & got 7 small minnows and he ate them all up quick, I went the next day to grab some crickets cos I’ve read that sometimes they will eat crickets & got 7 more minnows. Tried the crickets, no luck. Gobbled up the other minnows quick & then today he started nipping at my larger bloody heart tetras & full grown tiger barbs. My husband & I seen him take lil pieces of 2 of the tetras and eat it.. it’s pretty brutal how he just keeps attacking everything even the larger fish..
this guy was expensive & I really don’t wanna have to give him up but I’m scared for the rest of the fish in my tank. I have a 10 inch Senegal bichir in the tank that doesn’t mind these fish at all as they are all a fairly good size & round.
I have a group of 14 bloody heart tetras and 8 tiger barns he’s been constantly attacking.
Is there anyway I could get him to start eating other foods? I feed flakes , dried blood worms & frozen beefheart / Brine shrimp/ blood worms & meat pellets to the rest of the tank already. Thanks guys , this guy is pretty vicious

View attachment 1502106

View attachment 1502107

View attachment 1502108
The Needle Nose is more than likely wild caught and views the Tetra and Barbs as food.
I suggest removing the tetra and barbs they are not compatible with the Needle Nose.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Very nice fish. I have no experience keeping them, but it seems as if almost any other (smaller) fish will stand no chance. You will need to rehome them.
Also, for long term health, if the fish ate 7 minnows yesterday, he does not need to eat anything the next day. Of course he will if available, but not necessary and not conducive to long term health. Ideally, you will be able to alternate other diet items (crickets will be good), again for health. One will need to insist in offering other foods (or else no food), until it will learn. Then, anything will go (usually), and you might be able to wean it out of live fish, which can easily bring diseases and parasites. Good luck!

Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te

dudewheresmysupra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2021
The Needle Nose is more than likely wild caught and views the Tetra and Barbs as food.
I suggest removing the tetra and barbs they are not compatible with the Needle Nose.
I’m unable to remove the tetras and barbs :/ I may just have to re-home him then unfortunately . He ate 8 minnows this morning & then threw one up from eating so much

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’ve had these before. Need brackish water and It’s hard to get these kind of fish to eat prepared foods. Never heard of it. Haven’t seen any others to do so but there was a member on here that got one to eat some floating dried food

Reactions: LBDave and tlindsey

dudewheresmysupra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2021
Ya he’s been more calm today but that was after eating so many minnows. I’m goin to keep trying other foods but I think he may of been wild caught, so it would take him a long time if ever to eat frozen or dry food :/ bad mistake on my end

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
I’ve had these before. Need brackish water and It’s hard to get these kind of fish to eat prepared foods. Never heard of it. Haven’t seen any others to do so but there was a member on here that got one to eat some floating dried food
These occur in freshwater and brackish. Will do will in fresh long-term as well. Males gain some red colouration during breeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store