New pick up

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
Good news she spawned with a midevil. It was a long process but it happened. I have about 100 free swimming fry separated now and onto the grow out stages.

Reactions: Deadeye

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
Some of the fry are definitely deformed, literally a few that are n shaped. I've culled those even though early but rather not raise them like that. They are definitely growing faster than other hybrids I've got growing out. I will be building racks more grow outs. Thinking 20 long would be better than standard 20. Aim to have 24 more grow out tanks on the racks

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
I will try get some photos of the fry, nothing special to look at. A few of the smallest actually peeled to orange like dad. Most if not all have vieja shape and did have that stripe you see in alot of vieja juveniles. I did lose a few and found out that the biggest one was murdering it's siblings so that one is in with step siblings, midevil x parrot same dad

I have moved the midevil to another tank, I don't think he will be good dad. Spawned with parrot, this pink female and midevil. Everytime at night he was either push the female up top and stay opposite end and if she didn't stay he would get more aggressive.

I do have her paired with a male RTM that was a rescue from a turtle tank. This went surprisingly well, they currently have a spawn and both are doing really well as parents. The fry are not free swimming yet but might be interesting to see if there is faders, I can breed back to the dad or another male if I do get any.

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
The unfaded was the killer of siblings, the other one same dad but Santa parrot mother. The parrot ones have faded more but later. 3 week difference between the two spawns. I do have round ones but normal mouths

IMG_20230208_083450328.jpg

IMG_20230208_082516262.jpg

Reactions: sarmatian07

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
I will try moving some of the fry to grow, these two are great parents and have made maintenance difficult. Definitely bonded better than with the midevil. Before I'd just stick a net in to coral them but not this time lol

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
I have given my friend three of the bigger ones to grow out with his first gen of rt. I will keep a few to grow and another friend will take the rest. These literally one of the more aggressive hybrids I've had.

I have separated the latest pairs fry for growing out. The RTM is now with RTM female and the mom is going solo for now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store