Southern NH USA
Awesome looking driftwood!

Did you collect those yourself?

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
well I hate to break the news then, but I think you already screwed up by putting sand and décor in it......u may want to call him back and tell him what you did and ask what he meant......I would assume "fill it" means "putting anything in it"
Most of the silicone on the outside cures very quickly. It's the silicone not exposed that requires longer time on curing, which is the part that really holds the tank together.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Na, it's all good the silicone had gone off when I picked it up from him, hence the reason I could move the tank. And he meant water he just wanted to confirm the silicone had reached it's full bonding strength before I filled it with water.
Most of the silicone on the outside cures very quickly. It's the silicone not exposed that requires longer time on curing, which is the part that really holds the tank together.
and you're sure the humidity and liquid in the substrate won't affect cure time?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Seems like you might be trying your luck a little bit in the long run with tank by the fire place and adding decor before tank is totally cured... But since its your tank, and you say you've had experience doing this in the past then hopefully it all works out...

Eitherway, i have to say the scape is looking quite nice, although from a stictly personal point of view, i would maybe slope the dirt up in one corner or something so it doesnt look so flat...

Michael Day

Candiru
MFK Member
May 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I can understand where you guys are coming from. But in regards to the fire place causing the issue of cracking or shattering, cracking is caused by glass heating or cooling very fast and once the tank is full of water there is no way the fire place will heat it that quickly. Shattering is caused by heating one part of the glass faster than the rest of it causing different expansion rates and shattering so again because it is full of water this should never happen. With the Silicone the exposed portions were cured before I put anything in there. Also all of the stuff I currently have in the tank is sitting on the base of the unit there is minimal force being placed on the silicone joints,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store