New to MFK

LiquidUtopia

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2023
I 100 per agree. Will leave them until I notice parents getting fed up taking care of them. Im home all time so can keep an eye on them.
Parents have moved them again back to front of tank. Much easier to keep an eye on them.
Also yes, my tank is heavily planted. I've been meaning to add some pond matter too, from a more natural one. Added some from a small one we had but it wasn't the best I don't think. I also have vinegar worms and microworms I can toss in when they start swimming. ASSUMING, until they start swimming there's no point feeding that? Appreciate all your advice. I agree whole-heartedly.20231114_071955.jpg

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
Didn't mean to be so negative, it sounds like you've got a great maintenance schedule and are on top of water quality, and with a heavily planted tank you can get away with heavier stocking. Sharing this hobby with your kids is great! I really cherish the time I spend with my kids and playing with the tank or discussing the fish and their natural habitats etc, even if encouraging their interest in the hobby has led to some questionable decor compromises in my tank.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

LiquidUtopia

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2023
No its fine, I agree too many is not a good thing. I wasn't totally clear. The 65 is my main tank and we have a smaller one with smaller fish in it. I didn't take it in a negative way. You are just making a point. I wish inhad another big tank or even a 125 gallon tbh. Maybe one day. Just the thought of moving it makes me cringe.
About 8 months ago I made the move to sand bottom with a layer of volcanic seachem substrate. Im kinda of kicking myself wishing ainhad put a good layer of stratum under the sand as well. I think I need a bit more mineral content. After this batch of fry I may do that still. I've seen good results from others. Some say sand is terrible but I've had nothing but great plant growth. One thing I've noticed though, some fertilizer pellets don't work well. For example "Neo Plant" turns black and rots. Im guessing its more like plant matter and the sand is not letting it break down properly. Has anyone tried these before? Just curious if anyone has had same issues. Whats your preferred fertilizer tablet or pellet? I've also been using liquid...mix with water snd inject into the sand. Seems to work well.

LiquidUtopia

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2023
Well eggs laid last Saturday, hatched Monday ( couple days later) so far almost all hatched and still alive and well. Parents doing a fantastic job. Moving them from 2 diff pits in sand for protection. Id day another day or 2 and they will be swimming. Almost swimming now but not quite. Fingers crossed can keep them all alive and out of everyone's mouths. Especially the geophagus and ctenopmas. Probably the worst ones. Lol.

20231115_161607.jpg

20231115_144543.jpg

LiquidUtopia

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2023
Well as expected. They are all swimming today. Cant say if any are missing but looks like they are all doing well. Put some microworms in just in case. Got worried last night as the male kind gave up his duties. But maybe just needed a break. He is back on guard. I don't know if its just me keeping everyone well fed or they just aren't interested, but I'm sure the parents have a big part, but nobodys really that interested in them. Hopefully like you have stated I shouldn't have to do much until parent get bored. Hopefully by then they will be big enough to be left alone.
Appreciate all your advice now and in future.20231116_081344.jpg20231116_081337.jpg

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
Brings back the memories. I am now retired but I found a log book the other day from 45 years ago when I had Jack Dempseys and Convict cichlids. I am glad I kept it as it had details on tank size, time between spawns and growth rates. Then we got busy with work and raising kids and shut the tanks down.

Twenty years ago I started back up, this time with African cichlids. The mouthbrooding aspect I really find fascinating but these mouthbrooders for the most part, do not tend their fry. Memories of fish guarding their eggs and moving fry around is etched fondly still in my brain after almost 50 years.

LiquidUtopia

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2023
I here you there. I nevervhad much luck with fish way back when. Had eggs laid but never had much luck with live babies. Eggs usually got eaten. Im really hoping for my discus to breed and possibly my geophagus and even the gudgeons I've discovered in the past few months. I know its probably a long shot with either but its such a rush. The discus would be absolutely amazing to have breed. Everyrhing I come across in young ones are terrible body shape. About month ago I record 3 from a store cause they looked awful but still healthy enough to spend the money on. Now they are nice and fat or at least there body weight is double what it was. 2 of them seemed to have paired up but they are still young so fingers crossed. Always on lookout for 1 more.

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
Good luck with discus. I had some ten years ago. Half died within the first year and so I sold the rest. I have done well with finicky Tanganyikans but no more discus for me.

LiquidUtopia

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2023
What died, the babies or just the discus you had. They aren't the easiest fish to keep I agree. I'm hoping that these are native bred they will be a bit more hardier. You know I love Africans cichlids, I've always meant to switch but for some reason I keep sticking with the other kind.

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
I never had any breeding with discus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store