New to the Sump

mswizzle

Feeder Fish
Jun 20, 2017
I've had my 75 gallon hi-tech fresh water tank up and running for about four years now. I'm not an experienced aquarist but i'm starting to get some experience under my belt.

I bought the tank used. It came pre-drilled with an overflow box. Obviously, this was made for a sump, but being new to the hobby, I ignored it. I put a HOB and canister on it that have been working since. For some reason the sump bug bit me today and I'm thinking about building one. I'm just not sure where to start or if it is even worth it.

If y'all could point me in the right direction I'd be super grateful. I've been having issues finding something comprehensive. For instance, the holes are just bare glass, how do I plug them around the PVC so that water doesn't leak. I'm having trouble finding answers to these basic questions.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
IMG_0354.PNG Once set up and running you will love a sump. The holes: there are fittings made for plumbing these called "bulk heads" this is a picture above Of a bulkhead fitting

For the sump you can make your own by getting a smaller tank and adding the different baffling to make the separate chambers or buy a sump already made.

Reactions: Jhay3513

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I recommend that you watch some videos on sumps and get an idea of the features you would want. I would try to include filter socks in the first chamber. Then some sort of biological media in the next chamber then heater and return pump chamber. This is a basic setup. You can have a more elaborate system if you wish. You could go with an external return pump if you wanted to. That would give more room in the sump itself.
You could include a chamber for growing algae and plants with a light over it to lower phosphate and nitrates naturally.
Sky's the limit with sumps.

Reactions: Jhay3513 and DAF590

Homer Siped

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2015
I used these for bulkheads on my plywood aquarium. I was in a hurry and didnt want to wait for them as i have limited time at home. Do some research on what you want, sumps are so versatile and you are able to do basically anything you want

IMG_0040.PNG

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
For a 75, a used 20L or 29 would make a great sump.

You don't have to have baffles, and in a smaller sump like that, it will probably be easier to go without them.

Make sure when you size your pump that you take head height into account. Also, I would recommend you take a look at the DCT 4000 or 6000. They can be turned down with their controller.

IMG_1290.JPG

Here is a picture of the 55 I turned into a sump for my 220.

I suggest you decide on how quiet it has to be. If it can noisy, then you can just go with a regular drain.

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I built this 40 breeder into a sump for my 75 gallon corner-flo. The middle baffle sets the water height in the sump. My sump has 1 design flaw, I should have put a bubble trap going into the last chamber for the pump. I get the protein film build up in that one chamber. To combat this I put a sponge filter in the last chamber with my heaters and pump and that solved the problem I love the sump life though.

IMG_7193.JPG

IMG_7194.JPG

IMG_7289.JPG

IMG_7291.JPG

IMG_7292.JPG

IMG_7293.JPG

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
If you skip to 1:43 on this one you get a better look at my sump system. Chamber 1 has a the drain going into some filter floss, chamber 2 is my aux/waterchange chamber, chamber 3 is bio, chamber 4 is for the return pump, heaters, and sponge Filter. If you have a 75g I would go with the DCT-4000 pump. I have the 6,000 and can't go past the first speed setting without making my overflow start surging. Also I would go with as large of a sump as possible. I had a 10 gallon sump on a 55 gallon and had to top it off every freaking day!!!!!!!! With this 40b I never have to top it off. I just do my weekly water changes. Makes life way easier. Plus if you decide to use baffles remember that your lowers baffle sets your water height. So it can't be too high that you don't have "over flow" room and not too low that you're starving your return pump. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions

Reactions: Troy1015
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store