New with some questions. Water issues!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Found this big boy today. 180 gallon.
The only thing I’m wondering is why there is a slight dip in both the plastic cross braces, anyone know?
J
not sure on the manufacturer but the glass is 1/2” thick.

View attachment 1531408
You have a good aquarium and the stand looks great. I agree with Jexnell Jexnell about doing a test run.

Reactions: Pryme

Pryme

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2023
Looks like a nice older tank. From the color of the trim, it looks at it may be an old Perfecto tank, which are very good quality. There could still be an sticker on the bottom, between the glass and the trim (visible with tank upside down).
If it were me, unless I believe it is leaking, I would just test it as in a place where leaks wouldn't be a problem. I would test it for several days at room temperature or similar.
It may just be fine as is for the 8-10 inches you want to maintain. Resealing the whole thing is always an option and it is not too difficult. God luck!
At the very least I think I must do the vertical seams. The bottom looks good and supple but the vertical seams are all chipped and I can lift the seams with my fingernail.

IMG_4873.jpeg

IMG_4872.jpeg

Pryme

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2023
Okay so after cleaning the tank up it cleaned up nice. There is only a small sticker saying who made it and a code. So no idea who made it. Guess it doesn’t matter. All the glass is 1/2” thick and there are some scratches but overall nice.

came with a giant led that’s about the length of the tank. Says beamworks on it. Not familiar with that brand.

I kept hearing you need four guys to move a glass 180. Two of us to load it and two unloaded and set on the stand. Didn’t have to go far but I am going to put a foot of water in it where it sits.

IMG_4882.jpeg

IMG_4883.jpeg

IMG_4884.jpeg

IMG_4886.jpeg

IMG_4885.jpeg

Pryme

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2023
Hi again all.
Figured I’d post an update to this thread.

I spent a lot of time building out my basement and also a stand for this 180 gallon tank. It’s all finally pretty much done.
The 180 has been set up now for a day. I’m running two FX2 filters and a Fluval E300 heater.
Here are a couple pics.

IMG_6881.jpeg

IMG_6874.jpeg

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Hi all,

So I am in need to some advice on water parameters for my Alligator snapping turtle tank. I know this is a fish forum but I’ve seen a lot of AST discussion on here when googling so I joined.

My set up is a 60gal breeder tank with a Fluval FX2 filter. It’s set up as it came from Fluval except I did add seachem matrix to one of the baskets.
It’s been running 3 weeks now so the ammonia and nitrites are zero, the PH is about 6.8-7 but the nitrates are off the charts.

the reason I know this is because it pegged my api master kit at 160 and I did a 60% water change and it was still pegged so I put into the test tube half tap water(zero nitrates, I tested) and half tank water, after the 60% change and it got down to 80-100ish. So that means it’s still at 160-200ppm.
I use 100% rain water so my tds is very low, like 200ppm when it’s mixed back into my tank with sand substrate and all fake plants and fake wood.

I have two 15mo old AST which are 3 and 4” long.
now for what I think might be the problem.
I stock this tank(which I keep about half full, so about 30 gallons) with usually around 40 shiner minnows at a time which eventually get eaten and I usually add again when there is about a dozen minnows. I also have a few sunfish and crappie fry which are minnow sized. My kids like to put fish flakes in a few times a day for all the minnows. I feel this is the problem, what do you guys think?

Im planning on doing 50% water changes every few days until it’s below 50ppm.
Good idea?

I’m also looking into the best plants to add, I’ve heard hornwart mentioned a lot. Also frogbit. I don’t mind if the turtles eat some as long as they don’t eat it all. Doubtful.

thanks all.
I don’t know much about turtles, but I know how messy they are. In my opinion, with those plus fish in 30g of water ,you’re going to need to do 50-80% WCs every day, which 15-25g isn’t that hard. Maybe 15 -20 minutes a day

Pryme

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2023
I don’t know much about turtles, but I know how messy they are. In my opinion, with those plus fish in 30g of water ,you’re going to need to do 50-80% WCs every day, which 15-25g isn’t that hard. Maybe 15 -20 minutes a day
I don’t put that many fish in that tank anymore plus they eat them quicker now so they aren’t in there as long.
Turtles are dirty for sure the two small alligator snapping turtles can make a mess of the fx2 in 6 -7 weeks. Now they have the fx6 on that tank and the 180 gal has two fx2’s

Reactions: Joshuakahan
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store