obtaining a permit to keep restricted species!

Isaiahm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
One of the LFS near me got a 2 foots long Red Tail Golden Arowana swimming in 8x3x3 foot tank and marked NOT FOR SALE, I don't know how these permit work :)
it was most likely brought in illegally if u live in the united states because fish stores cant obtain a permit in almost all cases

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
it was most likely brought in illegally if u live in the united states because fish stores cant obtain a permit in almost all cases
I can't believe how many times this has to be said. Asian arowana are not restricted. They are banned. You cannot get a permit to keep them privately. If you see one in a private collection, it's illegal.

There are cases where the courts will have a trusted source hold onto a fish in a pending legal case under very specific circumstances, and this is not considered private. The same goes for individuals in a zoo. Private collections containing Asian arowana in the US are not legal nor under a CITIES permit.

Reactions: Deadeye

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Just wondering. What if you already owned, given an example, an Asian arowana before it got banned? Are you still allowed to keep it until it dies?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Do they refund you at least ????
The way this works is either someone rats you out or you rat yourself out by posting pics or videos and saying something about where you live. They don't have agents going house to house looking to see if someone may be keeping asian arowana. Besides the confiscation there is a hefty fine and possible jail time to go along with it.

Reactions: dr exum
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store