Obtaining FRTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Is it even possible anymore? I know Indonesia was the last to shut down the trade of them, and I haven't seen anything of them being bred in captivity recently, let alone being legally sold to the public. So is there any way to get them now?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Yep. You need to have connections though.;)

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Hmmm. I did some searching and found a classified of 6 that I'm not sure whether or not were sold on April 24, 2015. They were 12", so there's still some people that have them. I wish my setup was ready :(
Yep. You need to have connections though.;)

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Depending how badly you want one, you cab move to Asia... Over here i've seena few places that sell them and not expensive at all...

Last edited:

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
A year or so ago I googled and found several for sale. I had an opportunity to get babies from an importer couple years ago. I have a friend with a big one in a 360. The only roommate is a gold dorado. It kills everything else. I guess they aren't good community fish/turtles when full grown.

Reactions: Luke tomkinson

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Just recently saw a nearly 2 footer up for sale for $3,500.00. Can't remember where, though. I didn't think to track it because of the poor condition of the FRT. It appeared to have scarring on its carapace from hair algae growth and its left nostril was broken/bitten off.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
A year or so ago I googled and found several for sale. I had an opportunity to get babies from an importer couple years ago. I have a friend with a big one in a 360. The only roommate is a gold dorado. It kills everything else. I guess they aren't good community fish/turtles when full grown.
FRTs will kill most fish (depends on the turtle but it appears that most want to kill fish), and golden dorados don't do well with tankmates (most of the time).

Reactions: Luke tomkinson

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Just recently saw a nearly 2 footer up for sale for $3,500.00. Can't remember where, though. I didn't think to track it because of the poor condition of the FRT. It appeared to have scarring on its carapace from hair algae growth and its left nostril was broken/bitten off.
I would never buy one that large. It wouldn't last as long, and I have a feeling that by the time the turtle dies in your ownership, there's not going to be a chance to get another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store