Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Lol, how are we even supposed to believe the election won't be rigged one way or another?
Hello; I think an answer is the general public does not have a way to know. We get conflicting stories from various places.

I voted in Tennessee yesterday. There were a short series of checks for my identity. Required to show a photo ID, my state drivers license worked, and the voter registration I was sent a few years ago. One of the poll workers also was on a cell phone telling someone else my name and address. I asked and was told this is a further identity check.

These procedures seemed a good way to screen for legal voters. I did not have any problem getting a voter registration card or drivers license when I moved to TN in 2010. I did have to get a copy of my birth certificate from Kentucky, but that may have only been required for my carry permit. I do not know the procedure if I did not have a birth certificate.

At this point I am in favor of voter ID laws. I do not understand the groups that are against such laws for the most part. It is my understanding TN will issue picture ID at no cost to those who do not drive. There likely will be some effort required in the application process and I can not come up with much sympathy for those who are not willing to make the effort.

After thinking about it for a while it seems the opposition to such ID laws must have something to do with getting the vote for folks who are present in the country but are not citizens. Feel free to educate me on this point if you have some evidence otherwise. There is one political group which seems the more likely to benefit if such ID laws are struck down and this may be one way an election might be skewed.

Another thing I noted is a poll worker gave me a small printout on paper. This printout had the code I needed to enter into the electronic voting machine. Every voter gets one of these small paper printouts. Seems to me there is no actual barrier to some sort of paper record of the votes. Not something the voter takes with them but perhaps a strip of paper like a cash register receipt which shows in a window when the voter casts a vote. The paper roll could be available if a recount was desired.

The vote machine I used was electronic. No paper trail. This is where the vote tallies might be altered. The machines are supposed to not have any sort of internet connection. I seem to recall a few years ago how a professor demonstrated ways to fudge the machines. I can not do it and this may be difficult, but it apparently can be done.
Seems the best defense is the machines are stand alone and to have an impact each machine would have to be tampered with. Might be practical in some key precincts.
The most likely way I can think of might be at the central location where the counts from individual machines are fed into a machine that does the totals. Does anyone know if this is possible?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
all states and to some extent polling sites have there own systems, there is no way all can be hacked as they are not a universal system, some paperless, some paper only, none on the same system. bottom line the election can not be fixed. I am sure there may be as many 600,000 bogus votes (read not valid votes) you are talking of 200 million registered voters.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
this does not mean that a close election can not be contested, Think al gore who lost by 600 votes, he contested, votes found valid.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I am sure there may be as many 600,000 bogus votes (read not valid votes) you are talking of 200 million registered voters.
Hello; This is where my recall may be off. I seem to recall that in presidential elections the total vote being somewhere a bit over 100 million. 50 some million on one side and 50 some million on the other. Also it is the difference in the total votes that may decide an election. Say one gets 52 million and the other gets 53 million. If I am anywhere near correct then 600,000 bogus votes could be enough to sway an election. Again my recall may be way off so some fact checking might be needed.

Of course the election is not exactly decided by the popular vote. The electorial college totals are what actually count is my understanding?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
the vote in contest was in Florida. It triggered a mandatory re-count. the question was who won Florida. this was the 2000 election Al Gore/ bush.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
and the 600,000 number is worse case, I am under the opinion is far less than that.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Just heard that underground hacker group Anonymous has posted a warning online to the "corrupted" mainstream media that it will be giving truth back to the people on November 5th.
So Amazon,Twitter and Netflix were all shut down earlier today due to their servers being compromised....looks like it's starting early.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store