On the fence, opinions?

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I’ve decided to get another reptile and I’m on the fence between a Northern Blue tongue skink or a dispar uromastyx.
what do you guys think?
Any other ideas? Looking at lizards in the 14-30” range that are docile and not overly difficult that don’t require high humidity. No bearded dragons lol

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
If you're up for the challenge of a monitor, you could always try an ackie. If not I'd go with the skink. I've long since forgotten what the reason was but there was some valid reason why I didn't end up getting a uromastyx.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
i second the ackie. if your willing to get into something that can hit 30" i feel your already in smaller monitor territory. i raised 2 savannah monitors to 30+ plus when i was in high school. ackies are a bit easier to deal with and they are fun to keep. theres some smaller tegus that are amazing animals aswell. i believe many argentine tegu owners have trained them well enough to react to calling there name.

Reactions: Joshuakahan

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Agree with Hybridfish; had a nice young NBTS (suspected male) before; he wanted absolutely nothing to do with me, but still wasn't unmanageable at all. Ate a wide variety of foods (but was rather picky when it came to processed protein), relatively active, not impossible to handle (once picked up and moved out of enclosure, he calmed down a fair bit), can supposedly tolerate temps down into the 50s (F), supposedly can go up to two months+ without food, two weeks without water (last three points are for reassurance; certainly not a etc. One of the easiest "medium" sized lizards I had the pleasure of caring for; seemed quite intelligent as well- good perception of surroundings and frequently interacted with various things by moving them about. Unfortunately, mine suffered from organ deformities, likely because he was an F3-F4 (can't recall which) runt and eventually passed after two years.

Even if someone offered me a free CB uro in the next hour, I'd still pass; they're rather...odd? captives, and not exactly the best one. Will tack on another $30-50 to your electricity bill every month or so due to all the necessary light, and supposedly do not take well to smaller enclosures. Their herbivorous diet means a new pack of salad mix and some fruit/veggies every few days, which might not be the most preferable (unless you like salad, of course). Inability to find true CB dispar easily will be a slight struggle, though probably not as major an issue. I heard they aren't the most fond of handling, especially when WC, but will tolerate it after some time. Not a lizard I'd let free-roam for any considerable length of time, though. A bit like a tiny, active adult tortoise that requires higher temperatures.

Don't know how much I'd recommend acanthurus, but it's difficult to deny that they're great medium-sized lizards if sufficient resources are available.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
If you're up for the challenge of a monitor, you could always try an ackie. If not I'd go with the skink. I've long since forgotten what the reason was but there was some valid reason why I didn't end up getting a uromastyx.
I was honestly seriously considering an ackie. My favorite reptile I ever had was a Chilean dwarf tegu which is similar to an ackie but impossible to get now. But I’ve had many monitors and tegus over the years and currently have this guy which kinda scratches the tegu/monitor itch.
Thanks for the suggestion though!

IMG_2082.jpeg

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Agree with Hybridfish; had a nice young NBTS (suspected male) before; he wanted absolutely nothing to do with me, but still wasn't unmanageable at all. Ate a wide variety of foods (but was rather picky when it came to processed protein), relatively active, not impossible to handle (once picked up and moved out of enclosure, he calmed down a fair bit), can supposedly tolerate temps down into the 50s (F), supposedly can go up to two months+ without food, two weeks without water (last three points are for reassurance; certainly not a etc. One of the easiest "medium" sized lizards I had the pleasure of caring for; seemed quite intelligent as well- good perception of surroundings and frequently interacted with various things by moving them about. Unfortunately, mine suffered from organ deformities, likely because he was an F3-F4 (can't recall which) runt and eventually passed after two years.

Even if someone offered me a free CB uro in the next hour, I'd still pass; they're rather...odd? captives, and not exactly the best one. Will tack on another $30-50 to your electricity bill every month or so due to all the necessary light, and supposedly do not take well to smaller enclosures. Their herbivorous diet means a new pack of salad mix and some fruit/veggies every few days, which might not be the most preferable (unless you like salad, of course). Inability to find true CB dispar easily will be a slight struggle, though probably not as major an issue. I heard they aren't the most fond of handling, especially when WC, but will tolerate it after some time. Not a lizard I'd let free-roam for any considerable length of time, though. A bit like a tiny, active adult tortoise that requires higher temperatures.

Don't know how much I'd recommend acanthurus, but it's difficult to deny that they're great medium-sized lizards if sufficient resources are available.
Thanks! I’m actually leaning heavily towards the NBTS. I’ve had several monitors and tegus and even a couple uromastyx ( never a dispar). I’ve never had any type of BTS though. I really like the look of the dispar (black with orange/yellow backs) but ya the heat they require and the femoral pore maintenance is kind of a downer

Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
i second the ackie. if your willing to get into something that can hit 30" i feel your already in smaller monitor territory. i raised 2 savannah monitors to 30+ plus when i was in high school. ackies are a bit easier to deal with and they are fun to keep. theres some smaller tegus that are amazing animals aswell. i believe many argentine tegu owners have trained them well enough to react to calling there name.
Thanks!, Ackies are cool but I’ve had many monitors/tegus over the years and i currently have something that fits that niche already.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Thanks!, Ackies are cool but I’ve had many monitors/tegus over the years and i currently have something that fits that niche already.
ever think about one of those designer chameleons ? some really absurd insane color morphs out there now. some types can get pretty big and they are pretty docile.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
ever think about one of those designer chameleons ? some really absurd insane color morphs out there now. some types can get pretty big and they are pretty docile.
They are cool, but I’m too knowledgeable on chameleons, don’t they have some pretty tough care requirements? It’s also very dry where I live so I try to stick to arid/semi arid species.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I think if I could find a chuckwalla, I’d go that route but I’ve had no luck on any captive born, I think that’s why I’m drawn to the dispar since it’s very similar.

Reactions: LukeOscar
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store