One proven way to treat ich/ick

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
In addition, my sinspilum is also being very lethargic and it's concerning because he is not showing any white spots whatsoever.
You really need to look into what is causing your fish to get ick in the first place or you'll continue to have these issues. It's100% environmental...meaning it's a problem with your set up or maintenance/ waterchange routine. I keep super sensitive fish and never have ick issues(or any other disease for that matter) it's all about providing the right environment. A stress free fish won't get sick. It's immune system will fight off any illnesses for the most part. Hope this is helpful. Good luck

Flatstanley22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2017
You really need to look into what is causing your fish to get ick in the first place or you'll continue to have these issues. It's100% environmental...meaning it's a problem with your set up or maintenance/ waterchange routine. I keep super sensitive fish and never have ick issues(or any other disease for that matter) it's all about providing the right environment. A stress free fish won't get sick. It's immune system will fight off any illnesses for the most part. Hope this is helpful. Good luck
Thank you for the quick response. I've checked my water parameters and needless to say I'm puzzled and on a side note the last time I had ick was years ago before I even knew what I was doing. This time around however other than raising the temperature I can't figure out what could possibly be the source of my problem.

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
There's a whole lot of info I'd need to help you try to diagnose the possible problems. It's totally up to you if you want to try I'm game. Tank size, filtration, temp, all that stuff plus maintenance routine, stocking, exact water parameters. Basically every detail of your set up and routine

Twonvito

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2015
New York City
www.brooklynaquatics.com
I would say use salt for the very beginning stage of ich if you can spot it. Other then that use medicine. I recently got a fish for my daughter to add to my tank. The blood parrot looked fine plus I keep it in a separate tank two days with salt and everything was fine. I moved it to my Midas tank a day later I noticed white spots but also my Midas had it also. So I treated ich before with my wild caught Trimac. I Raised the temp up to 85 degrees and dose the fish. Out of frustration I took her fish out and put inside a breeder to be alone. But I'm dosing my fish now. I have a few tanks and lucky it is only one fish inside that got sick from hers. The product I use a lot and can say it works every time Kordons ich rapid cure. Just make sure to follow instructions don't over treat and doing a water change cleaning the gravel helps also...

Reactions: Flatstanley22

rucus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2007
Nebraska
WWW.FISHTAILAQUATICS.COM
Thanks Guppy. Years ago I would treat with tank staining medication which would generally work....but what a pain it was. I picked up a pair of lonely clown loaches 2 weeks ago and knew they would have ich before long. Sure it enough next morning I saw the signs and began heat and salt. Day 3 they looked terrible (completely covered) but by day 7 it was cleared up. Works like a charm. My fish thank you!

FresH2O

Feeder Fish
Nov 12, 2017
Help me out!

OK so I have a 60 gallon tank with an electric blue acara, green terror, firemouth, and 3 paratilapia bleekeri that I just pick up from a LFS that insisted I take all 3 for a really good deal. I took all 3 only to realize they had ich and spread it to my acara.

Before anyone mentions, I know I will need to upgrade my tank as they grow.

And

I know, I know, should of quarantined the new fish. Dumb move on my part.

-DAY 1 WITH ICH.

So I started treatment Friday with raising temp to 86F and some off the shelf ich treatment from another LFS and when I got home realized that my tank required the whole bottle to treat.

-DAY 2.

I did a 25% water change and had to get more ich treatment. Walmart was the only place open so I got 2 brands, Jungle and Kordon, both of which stain blue. I chose the Jungle brand and used the recommended dose.

-DAY 3

Acara looks worse and the 3 paratilapia have a lot of white spots as well. The rest of the fish seem to be ich free.
I've been treating at night because I read online that it's better to treat at night. If I get no response by tonight then I'll continue my regimen.

-QUESTIONS

Should I continue with nightly water changes and meds?

Should I do a 25% water change and switch to the salt method?

Does nightly treatment make a difference?

All recommendations are appreciated. I haven't been in the hippy for awhile and I've never had ich in the past.

Twonvito

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2015
New York City
www.brooklynaquatics.com
Help me out!

OK so I have a 60 gallon tank with an electric blue acara, green terror, firemouth, and 3 paratilapia bleekeri that I just pick up from a LFS that insisted I take all 3 for a really good deal. I took all 3 only to realize they had ich and spread it to my acara.

Before anyone mentions, I know I will need to upgrade my tank as they grow.

And

I know, I know, should of quarantined the new fish. Dumb move on my part.

-DAY 1 WITH ICH.

So I started treatment Friday with raising temp to 86F and some off the shelf ich treatment from another LFS and when I got home realized that my tank required the whole bottle to treat.

-DAY 2.

I did a 25% water change and had to get more ich treatment. Walmart was the only place open so I got 2 brands, Jungle and Kordon, both of which stain blue. I chose the Jungle brand and used the recommended dose.

-DAY 3

Acara looks worse and the 3 paratilapia have a lot of white spots as well. The rest of the fish seem to be ich free.
I've been treating at night because I read online that it's better to treat at night. If I get no response by tonight then I'll continue my regimen.

-QUESTIONS

Should I continue with nightly water changes and meds?

Should I do a 25% water change and switch to the salt method?

Does nightly treatment make a difference?

All recommendations are appreciated. I haven't been in the hippy for awhile and I've never had ich in the past.
I would’ve just took them back since they sold you sick fish, but since you have started going thru the steps. Kordon is good I use that as first defense and has not failed me yet. Just remember all bio media needs to be removed. I usually do a water change on the third day because I dosed for two and the third your fish should show good signs. Do not feed until you finish the process. Stop doing nightly water changes and let the meds work. You gotta let them soak in I️t. Just make you have good flow for air. Don’t over dose and you should be fine.

FresH2O

Feeder Fish
Nov 12, 2017
I would’ve just took them back since they sold you sick fish, but since you have started going thru the steps. Kordon is good I use that as first defense and has not failed me yet. Just remember all bio media needs to be removed. I usually do a water change on the third day because I dosed for two and the third your fish should show good signs. Do not feed until you finish the process. Stop doing nightly water changes and let the meds work. You gotta let them soak in I️t. Just make you have good flow for air. Don’t over dose and you should be fine.
Thanks for the tips.
I didn't realize the paratilapia had ich until I noticed it on the acara so I decided to treat them all. I should of taken them back though. I kinda feel like they knew the fish might have been sick.

Anyways I'll try dosing again tonight without a water change.

Domofish

Feeder Fish
Dec 21, 2017
I am in need of some help my fish have come down with ick/ich (tiny white spots) i spotted it quite early and i believe only a couple fish have it and i would care to know the best way of treating?
I know of using copper (i have no snails or shrimp)
And using salt
But I don’t know which fish can handle salt I’ve tried doing some research but I both cant find info and don’t trust it so if you know anything help

The fish I have are
1 betta
1 silver tipped fish (not quite sure)
1 pearl gourami
4 phantom tetras
2 black neon tetras
2 small cories
1 bristle nose pleco

The tank is a little over crowded when you look but its working out just fine they all get along even the betta but if any of these wont be able to handle salt please say something soon thank you

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store