oscar breeding

searcyb

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2005
Illinois
I have a pair of oscars and they have been doing the mating "dance" for about 3 months now... I just moved them into a new 125 gal tank and it took them a week or so to get aquainted to their new surroundings. This past week they started to dig out the gravel and they have been spending a lot of time in the area that they cleaned out. Every once in a while they will go mouth to mouth and get fairly aggressive with eachother. My tank temp is 78-80, pH is 7.4, water is a little hard. Should I be doing anything else to get them to spawn or should it just take time?

:feedback:

Stella

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Texas
Do a decent water change with water that is a little warmer and a little softer than what is already in the tank (maybe 82 degrees, 6.8 pH). I would move the other fish out, as some won't like the softer water, and all will eat fry/eggs if the oscars don't eat them first.

Laura

Stella

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Texas
If it were my tank, I would do several water changes to bring the pH down (this could adversely affect your African cichlids) and crank the temp up to about 82 degrees. I would either use peat-filtered water or RO water to lower the pH; chemicals can seriously mess up your chemistry. If that alone doesn't get things going, do another large water change with water that is a few degrees cooler.

Keep in mind you may have two females; they will sometimes go to the point of laying (obviously infertile) eggs together.

Laura

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store