MFK Member
Apr 30, 2024
Have you tested your water?
No
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
91-100%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every month
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I bought a tiger oscar 5-6 months ago and it has been doing well, but up until the last few days, agter i cleaned the water it has stopped eating and would be really picky with the food, it would lay down at the bottom of the tank not moving its fins and i noticed a scrape on the side of her belly that has continued to grow bigger, ive spoken to the place where i brought her from, they gave me medicine for fungus. And said im just not cleaning the water properly. Its my first fish and i dont want to lose her. The other oscar is doing fine but she isnt, the scraped part became white

IMG_2323.jpeg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Looks like a nasty bacterial infection - possibly from an injury.
Kanaplex is a good antibiotic to use.
Are you sure about 0 nitrates - that’s very difficult to achieve, especially in a cichlid tank with water changes once a month.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I would quarantine and give fresh water every day to aid healing. If those rocks have a rough surface they need to go. Like Deadeye Deadeye said, start the Kanaplex. Those water parameters don't add up with once a month changes.

Water changes twice a week if she stays in the main tank. Keep up that schedule. You didn't say the size tank? Oscars put out a lot of waste. No way is once month enough.

Kuiwi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2024
i put 0 nitrates because i set it as didnt test water, i cant find any water testers in my country or in any of the local fish shops. She got injured at first, and i only change the water once a month because the tank is really heavy and i do a full wash for the tank. And im a university student i never have time for tank cleaning.

Kuiwi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2024
I only have two tanks, the main one has 2 oscars and 2 suckermouthed fish, the smallest tank i have contains 2 gold fish and i cant really quarantine id have to buy tanks and filters etc, again im just a uji student im struggling lol

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
i put 0 nitrates because i set it as didnt test water, i cant find any water testers in my country or in any of the local fish shops. She got injured at first, and i only change the water once a month because the tank is really heavy and i do a full wash for the tank. And im a university student i never have time for tank cleaning.
I don't understand this. If you never have time, why have the fish? They won't survive long term with that schedule. If you can get a python system that will help with water changes it will make life a lot easier. Or rehome the fish. Or get someone to help you on a regular basis. Please don't think throwing medication at the problem will fix this if you can't provide the care oscars need.

Kuiwi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2024
No i meant the only time i can clean is when i get help from my family, the tanks really heavy to lift by myself. I have only taken care of beta fish once i really liked the habit of feeding fish and cleaning the tank but i never knew a big tank and cichlid are hard to take care of.

Kuiwi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2024
As
I don't understand this. If you never have time, why have the fish? They won't survive long term with that schedule. If you can get a python system that will help with water changes it will make life a lot easier. Or rehome the fish. Or get someone to help you on a regular basis. Please don't think throwing medication at the problem will fix this if you can't provide the care oscars need.
As for the medications ive read the instructions thoroughly ive been throwing away quarter of the water and adding quarter more of fresh clean water to the tank and adding medicine, but it only made my fish situation worse.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
As

As for the medications ive read the instructions thoroughly ive been throwing away quarter of the water and adding quarter more of fresh clean water to the tank and adding medicine, but it only made my fish situation worse.
Ok, slow down. If you have a plastic tub like a tote to put her in, do that. Add an airstone. You have to let the medicine work, and follow the treatment it isn't instant. Does your water have chlorine? If it does you'll have to add a dechlorinator every time you add fresh water. Add enough for the full volume. Keep things quiet around her.

It sounds as if you got oscars with little information? Care for a betta is completely different. Oscars need two things more than anything a BIG tank (90+ gallons) good filtration and clean water on schedule. They make a lot of waste and will get sick and HITH (hole in the head) disease if not cared for properly. If the oscars are too much right now rehome them. You dont have a lot of options. They will not survive long term otherwise.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
It’s important to add aeration when dosing any medicine.
As for water changes, getting a siphon would make it much easier. I can do 3 tanks in an hour and a half with no stress at all with it. Just doing buckets would make it a whole day process for one. You’ll find a siphon will make it far less stressful for both you and the fish.
Welcome to the forum by the way!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store