Oscar Tankmates

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I think it’s called a golden cobra snakehead and also if I decided not to get a snakehead will 4 adult Oscars be able to stay together in a 240 gallon
First, welcome to the fun group!

To answer your question, no, 4 Oscars cannot stay in a 240 gallon. Most people here will tell you that for one adult Oscar, the tank size should be around 240 gallons. By the standards of many here (including myself), 4 cannot stay in a 240 for life. It can be used a growout, but nothing more.

Perhaps find a different cichlid? Maybe severums, EBAs, firemouths, green terrors, jack dempseys, and more would be better for your tank size. You could also add a nice catfish or two with a larger cichlid.

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
I think it’s called a golden cobra snakehead and also if I decided not to get a snakehead will 4 adult Oscars be able to stay together in a 240 gallon
Yeah I’ve seen up to 6 Oscar’s tribe and breed in an 8’ 240, I would probably only stick with a pair if it’s 6’ long tho

welcome to the group

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
First, welcome to the fun group!

To answer your question, no, 4 Oscars cannot stay in a 240 gallon. Most people here will tell you that for one adult Oscar, the tank size should be around 240 gallons. By the standards of many here (including myself), 4 cannot stay in a 240 for life. It can be used a growout, but nothing more.

Perhaps find a different cichlid? Maybe severums, EBAs, firemouths, green terrors, jack dempseys, and more would be better for your tank size. You could also add a nice catfish or two with a larger cichlid.
Dude you need to stop making these crazy tank recommendations and then acting like you’ve had experience with these fish. Please try and stick to advice and animals you are familiar with.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Dude you need to stop making these crazy tank recommendations and then acting like you’ve had experience with these fish. Please try and stick to advice and animals you are familiar with.
Crazy? What is crazy about what I'm saying? I think many of the recommendations I've made are reasonable, plus I didn't give specific numbers for these fish, they were just suggestions for different kinds of fish. I didn't say "stuff 50 severums and 40 EBAs in the tank." Do you believe that 4 Oscars can happily live in a 240 gallon tank? Look at Brick, he was massive, and he filled up a 225. Can you stuff in 3 other oscars, each about the size of Brick in a 240 gallon? I don't believe so.

Also, I've personally kept a lot of these fish, albeit for not very long, I still have some experience.

Last edited:

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
Crazy? Uhh....ok... I've personally kept a lot of these fish.
How long? My clients 22” 12 year old Oscar ZUES, which I have maintained for 6 years. Currently lives in a 5’ long 150 with two other female Oscar’s, one of which is 17” and the other is 13”.
Have I told him he probably needs to upgrade due to swimming constraints?
Yes
Have his Oscar’s ever been sick?
no

I have 4 other tanks I maintain with Oscar’s over 5 years of age.

what is your experience with Oscar’s? I would love to hear it.
im not trying to say you are a bad fishkeeper or to leave the forum. But with your tank setup and stocking choices I would be hesitant to provide advice, even to those you deem less experienced than you. As it could give off the wrong impression.
Fish keeping is an opinionated hobby regardless, all in trying to say is we don’t need to confuse people genuinely looking for advice

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
Crazy? What is crazy about what I'm saying? I think many of the recommendations I've made are reasonable, plus I didn't give specific numbers for these fish, they were just suggestions for different kinds of fish. I didn't say "stuff 50 severums and 40 EBAs in the tank." Do you believe that 4 Oscars can happily live in a 240 gallon tank? Look at Brick, he was massive, and he filled up a 225. Can you stuff in 3 other oscars, each about the size of Brick in a 240 gallon? I don't believe so.

Also, I've personally kept a lot of these fish, albeit for not very long, I still have some experience.
Your tanks go agains what you are saying in all of your posts.

the poster specifically wanted Oscar’s. Not the cichlids you recommended. And none of the fish you recommended (sans maybe green Terrors) would live well with an Oscar.

and I addressed a fish that was a genetic anomaly size wise (he has a few inches on brick) that is happy and healthy in a tank smaller than what you are saying. and yes I would recommend 4 Oscar’s for an 8 foot tank to my clients, customers, and friends. And with proper care I believe they would be happier and healthier than the stocking arrangements you recommend and utilize.

arguing does not help the original poster. So I will make it very simple.

YES: R Rywe98 you can have four Oscar’s if your tank is 8 feet or two meters long. Just feed and water change properly

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store