Oscar with bristlenose pleco

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
were you really surprised when the Oscar ate the roseline?
if you leave the remaining roselines, I hope oscar eats them too!
you probably paid handsomely for that meal
Yes I was a bit surprised. This was about 5 to 6 years ago when I first got back into the hobby, after a 15 year or so hiatus.
The Roselines had been with the Oscar 8 months by then, with no issues at all. The Roselines would swim right up to her mouth and get scraps as he ate, no issues. The Oscar was floating with his face straight down, odd I thought. A Roseline came over to investigate. And Bam he got it.
And no I didn't leave the remaining Roselines in her tank. They were moved to a different tank with some HRPs. Where lived for a year and a half till the tank blew a seam and I had to give all the fish to the Wet Spot as I didn't have a spare tank.20180719_165256.jpg

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Glad to hear
Sorry for the crotchety old man this morning...
I hope the Oscar thoroughly enjoyed that expensive meal
She only ate the front half. Left the tail in the tank till I pulled it out myself after catching the remaining Roselines and moving them to my other tank. Yes it was an expensive meal, I got the Roselines at the Wetspot for 10 each. So I learned that lesson the hard way, if it will fit it will become a snack.

puffers4puffers

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
Kensington CA
She only ate the front half. Left the tail in the tank till I pulled it out myself after catching the remaining Roselines and moving them to my other tank. Yes it was an expensive meal, I got the Roselines at the Wetspot for 10 each. So I learned that lesson the hard way, if it will fit it will become a snack.
So true, so true
And sometimes very amazed at what a fish will eat!

Reactions: Jexnell

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Ah, yes, the age-old MFK question:

My fish is overcrowded in a small tank all alone, and the water gets dirty...what additional fish can I add to solve this problem? 🤔

Rakeboy

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2020
Philippines
I wouldn't do it, not a bristlenose they stay to small and the O will out grow it and one day will try it for dinner and could be really bad for both. I suggest if you must add something to crumb snatch an Ornatus catfish. Get a bigger one as the grow slower than the O. But a 75 is a tight fit for a Oscar to begin with. Plans to upgrade later?
I had an Ornatus with my Oscar in a 125 no issues View attachment 1539755View attachment 1539756View attachment 1539757
yes i am planning to upgrade from 75g to 180g may be two years from now. Ornatus is rare here in the philippines. I saw a featherfin catfish and now i am considering to add it since it grows 9 inches

Reactions: Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store