Outdoor "swimming" pond for paroon sharks

Savethemall

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
Hi. I want to buy one of the "yard swimming pool" in order to use it for paroon sharks. I'm trying to gather info on sustainability of those ,which companies are the best, what problem can arise and so. I'm looking for large ones such as 10 on 5 M.
Does anyone has any info and exp with them? In general and specific with fish
Thank you

Reactions: Fishman Dave

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've never used the above-ground pools but most peers do use them. There is a plethora of posts on them.

Sustainability depends on many things but in general, they are made extremely cheaply and are not meant to be long-lived it seems, unless protected from the elements to some degree.

Vinyl liner will work but catfish like paroons will likely puncture it a few times a year, so patches should be on hand, except if a puncture occurs on a seam, it is irreparable.

IDK if brands matter, they may if you are willing to spend 2x-5x more on the same volume you can buy cheaply.

Depending how deep you'd like it to be, I'd suggest to consider home-building a pond out of cinder blocks and 45 mil EDPM rubber liner.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Savethemall

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
Can you show some links to threads about them?
Ther are a few models which are 3 layers for start, and I also think on adding another one of pvc/Epdm .dont you thinki it will reduce the chances for holes ?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Can you show some links to threads about them?
Ther are a few models which are 3 layers for start, and I also think on adding another one of pvc/Epdm .dont you thinki it will reduce the chances for holes ?
Ive ran these pools with a plethora of different fish species. Personally id never run one for long with out an additional 45mil EPDM liner. You can even get 60mil liners these days. With the additional liner they are quite permanent and long lived. The stock vinyl liners are pretty thin and brittle. Ive used intex brand and also bestway brand. The intex come with a bit heavier duty vinyl liner. Again i always used a 45mil epdm over top.

Savethemall

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
Ive ran these pools with a plethora of different fish species. Personally id never run one for long with out an additional 45mil EPDM liner. You can even get 60mil liners these days. With the additional liner they are quite permanent and long lived. The stock vinyl liners are pretty thin and brittle. Ive used intex brand and also bestway brand. The intex come with a bit heavier duty vinyl liner. Again i always used a 45mil epdm over top.
What sizes did you used to have? Other then the extra Epsom liner no other modification were needed? Were ther any problems like the frame breaking off or holes in one of the liner? Thanks

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
What sizes did you used to have? Other then the extra Epsom liner no other modification were needed? Were ther any problems like the frame breaking off or holes in one of the liner? Thanks
I had 2 of the intex brand 12’ round 1700gal… and 1 bestway brand 10’ round. Both were roughly 26-28” high. The frames are pretty sturdy surprisingly. They used to be alot cheaper tho. The 12’ intex i got for $85 new off amazon yrs ago and the bestway i bought open box at a big lots for $45 haha… back then (9-10 yrs ago) the liners cost more than the pools lol… i think the 12’ers are around $200+ now. I still have the pools packed away in case of emergency/ a tank leaking. There all built the same round or rectangle. Plenty strong for what they are. If u get the 12’ rounds a 20’x20’ EPDM liner fits well in it. U can use a 15’x15’ liner on the 10’ rounds.

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
No other modifications were needed… i also used the pumps they came with without the filter cartridge just as a powerhead/circulation pump.

AR1

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
i too have a 12 foot 1700 gallon intex pool pond currently running. it contains 3 irredescents, 1 raphael catfish, four silver dollars, one hornet ciclid and one pacu. I didn't have any leaks or punctures, although the catfish have sharp fins. the pool is pretty strong.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store