OVERHEAD GLASS SUMP

Swimming Chicken

Feeder Fish
Nov 23, 2015
Hi. I'm new to the hobby. I have a standard 75 gallon glass tank with one Oscar fish in it and I was thinking about the overhead glass sump I saw in my LFS. It's a 2ft x 6" x 7" LxWxH sump with I think 4 chambers.

Question is would my tank be able to support its weight? It will be on one end to the brace. I'm worried about breaking the glass brace and ruining everything.

Also, would it be a good idea if I put a plywood that runs from the front to the back of my tank and put the OHSump on it to distribute the weight? TIA!

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
That will be about 100 pounds you will need a good support. What I would do is find some 2x2x 1/4 angle and have it cut to the length of the tank an paint it black, set the tank inside of the angle. Your tank will suppose it just have to do it right

Swimming Chicken

Feeder Fish
Nov 23, 2015
That will be about 100 pounds you will need a good support. What I would do is find some 2x2x 1/4 angle and have it cut to the length of the tank an paint it black, set the tank inside of the angle. Your tank will suppose it just have to do it right
Im sorry. Let me correct it. It's just 2'x5"x5". Will I still get the same answer? :) Thanks.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I'm sorry my calculations where way off. For a 24"x5"×5" would be about 30 pounds. So you could just use 1x1x1/4 aluminum angle which you can get at a tsc or home depot. I would do it this way so I never have to worry about it

Swimming Chicken

Feeder Fish
Nov 23, 2015
I'm sorry my calculations where way off. For a 24"x5"×5" would be about 30 pounds. So you could just use 1x1x1/4 aluminum angle which you can get at a tsc or home depot. I would do it this way so I never have to worry about it
:( I don't know what it looks like :3 sorry. do you have a pic? can we send photos here in this site?

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
You'll be fine provided you run plywood the length of your tank for the OHF to rest on. Glass tanks get their strength from the edges. As long as the filter is supported you won't have any issues.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store