Payara (Cynodontidae et al.) ID and Care Guide 2.01

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Edited to preserve the first eight replies in order to bring this guide up to the same standards as the other ID and Care stickies in Other Characins.

Reply 1-
nice man.
you finally got it up.
i have to disagree however that armatus grow slow until 5 inches.
the members on here have raised them from little 1 inch babies and i believe that they grew very very quickly at that size.
but very good read and thanks alot!
Reply 2-
^ Agreed. When small they grow right before your eyes..... week to week you can notice growth...... The hard part is finding ample feeders that are small enough for them..... Most shops only have enough guppies for a day or 2 of feeding before they sell out and you have to wait a week for more. It's hard to keep a constant supply of feeders.
Reply 3-
might i add that pbass are also great teacher fish.
they hit food hard and its hard not to notice.
my temensis taught nearly all my payara to eat dead food.
Reply 4-
that was prob my bad. i think me and mike c. had ones that grew slow to 5 inches... i didnt have time to read the whole thing yet....
Reply 5-
was very good!!!! wheres pics of Rhaph and Cyno????
Reply 6-
i think i remember you saying that...
Reply 7-
where's DB with that 12 inch raph???:D
Reply 8-
did we have pics of those? cause i cant seem to find any on my pc. if we did i'll go back and look for em again
Reply 9-
This post proper, as posted by DB junkie-

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
If you guys need more pics just lemme know in particular what kinda pics.

Thanks
Alan Laake

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I only know of 1 place. G (Shark Aquarium). He's the only one I have ever known to have them...... And to my knowledge still does.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
i have 2 cynos but they arent doing to good in a 90 gallon. i need to get them a bigger tank.....

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
vamptrev;2346323; said:
i have 2 cynos but they arent doing to good in a 90 gallon. i need to get them a bigger tank.....
I'de be more than happy to rehome them with my Rhaph if you want to part with them. The Rhaph's just a big ol puddy cat......

This Cyno stuffs got me all confused. The Cynos we are talking about here are the Cynodon Gibbus........

The ones I was referring to that no one has but G are Cynopotomus...... Big difference in max size I believe. The Cynopotomus are supposed to get a lot bigger I believe.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
vamptrev;2346323; said:
you still have those guys?
i thought you only had armatus.:D
pics!

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
DB junkie;2346940; said:
I'de be more than happy to rehome them with my Rhaph if you want to part with them. The Rhaph's just a big ol puddy cat......

This Cyno stuffs got me all confused. The Cynos we are talking about here are the Cynodon Gibbus........

The ones I was referring to that no one has but G are Cynopotomus...... Big difference in max size I believe. The Cynopotomus are supposed to get a lot bigger I believe.
ive heard that cynopotomus are as aggressive as armatus.
and have average growth.
not sure how big they get though.
dont think theyre in the same family as hydrolycus,raphiodon and cynodon though?:confused:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store