Pea Puffers Picky Eaters?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Yup, these guys do best with lines of sight broken up as much as possible to avoid aggression... Since if they cant see each other, or they lose sight of each other, then they stop fighting...

Having either all females or a ratio of 1M / 2F also helps cut down on aggression a lot...

cichlidsickness

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Ceres, CA
Glass surfing is awesome though right?

Fingers crossed with this bunch, i intentionally bought a couple more anubias plants when i picked them up to help keep the tank looking organic and to keep their aggression down hopefully. Ill post a couple more pics of the tank when i get home.

U know what they say Hart, "once they go live its the only way theyll strive!"

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Glass surfing is awesome though right?

Fingers crossed with this bunch, i intentionally bought a couple more anubias plants when i picked them up to help keep the tank looking organic and to keep their aggression down hopefully. Ill post a couple more pics of the tank when i get home.

U know what they say Hart, "once they go live its the only way theyll strive!"
Depends whst you mean by glass surfing, pacing up and down constantly or just sticking to the glass and swimming around the tank...

If its more pacing up and doen constantly it could mean that puffer is a bit stressed...

cichlidsickness

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Ceres, CA
Ive seen them pace before but that was only when I first got them.

Ive noticed one of them hasnt really eaten and doesnt really swim with the others much. I dont think hes gonna make it.

cichlidsickness

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Ceres, CA
Are you sure that their teeth arent really a problem? The one thats not eating has a slightly protruding mouth that looks a little different than the others.

Maybe hes not eating cause of his teeth?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ from a personal standpoint i've never heard of them having over-grown teeth issues... But that doesnt mean its not possible i guess???

Im just also wondering if there is a chance it might be sick with something causing it to possibly not want to eat???

cichlidsickness

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Ceres, CA
Yea I'm not sure, this has seemed to happen to me with my past 2 experiences with pea puffers. 1 or 2 will typically start to become lethargic then stop eating then die. Its possible it just cant take the stress from the other puffers but the rest seem to be doing alright with each other. I got a bunch this time to try and spread the aggression out

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store