Penn10 reel: Repair or replace?

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Thanks again. I will have to download an owner’s manual for this reel. I had one when I bought it new 25 years ago.

God knows where it went.

It’s difficult to see but the little shoulders are a bit rounded off on the brass shaft, and the handle doesn’t want to stay in one place.
4BD7CF63-7A5F-4146-B15F-3D494C4CC5D4.jpeg
I will have to change this bridge assy.

I straightened the handle and all the other parts appear to be in very good shape.

So far. I have not cleaned the easy side yet. But everything there appears to be in order.
C5A8C950-B5C9-4175-87EB-D06BD27C48CB.jpegWhen I took the clutches out, I put a zip tie through the whole assembly including the gear, so I could get them back in order.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Thank you again. I was actually going to order from Mystic last night, but I thought I might find a place closer to me.
I'm on the opposite coast.

Mystic had the best prices though. I'll just have to order more to justify the shipping cost LOL.
I see they also have Garcia parts, and I might be able to fix up my old Mitchel-Garcia from 1973.

I'll be amazed if they have those bits. It's nearly a reel antique.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
My parts came Yesterday and my reel is back in action.
FAD80EAF-0237-491D-A618-C92382EC3FDF.jpeg
If you get frustrated easily, this is a job I would pay someone else to do. Even with an exploded diagram and the educational YouTube video, it is still a tricky business to overhaul this reel.

I only had to take it apart about four times until I got everything installed correctly and tuned up a bit.

It’s easy to get the clutch discs out of alignment assembling it, and also I had a part upside down. You can see it in the picture of part 3-10 above: a little lever that runs the ratchet. There’s another part that locates the pinion gear and I took the reel apart once to reverse that, as I thought it would make the reel a little smoother. It had a slight wear pattern in it. Also the part had a slight cupping from the stamping process.

After lots of cleaning and oiling andgreasing and I am really happy with the way this works. The clicker is really loud though and I was thinking I might trim it down a little bit.

I have a “special” fishing rod I’m going to put it on, which is a 1972 Fenwick with all metal hardware & cork handles. The anodized aluminum threads have a jam nut which the plastic rods don’t.
908067EC-C1E6-4123-B360-11CE9507DAC6.jpeg
Unfortunately it snapped at the joint so I’m going to do a Fiberglass-to-carbon-fiber transplant with this graphite Eagle Claw. This is a great rod with great action, but the plastic hardware is crap.
E3ED7774-81FF-42B3-9BDA-82E436957998.jpeg
The Fenwick was my first fishing rod, and I am going to rescue it for sentimental reasons, and because it’s not plastic.

Here I have cut them both off and now the skiving & splicing begins.
139FC1CB-682B-497C-8AEE-F5E4CC3A2BC8.jpeg
The eagle claw has Much nicer line guides. It also has 6 inch more handle and 6 inch more tip. When I get done that 8 foot six rod will turn into about 7 foot six And I will lose the whole foot on the handle end.

This will work much better in the boat because the reel will not be so far from me when the rod is in the pole holder.

Reactions: aussieman57

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
Glad it worked out. One of the things I do when I take apart a reel (or anything else) I'm not familiar with is use my phone and take pics as I take it apart . Referring to the pics makes reassembly a breeze.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Glad it worked out. One of the things I do when I take apart a reel (or anything else) I'm not familiar with is use my phone and take pics as I take it apart . Referring to the pics makes reassembly a breeze.
Well I did that but couple of the parts fell out before I could figure out where they were. It just took a little fiddling. It works great now.

I have now put together a custom rod of sorts for this reel. I am loving the heavy duty anodized aluminum hardware.

I finally repaired it by splicing in graphite rod from Eagle claw. This was a nice rod with good action and very nice guides, but the plastic hardware was awful!

So to skive and fit them. I just used an electric drill motor and some sandpaper of various grits. I sanded the bits inside and outside as required to make it all slip fit together neatly.

I decided that for additional reinforcement I would sleeve in this third bit: a piece of the old fiberglass rod. This all overlaps approximately as you see it here.
54ADF2AE-C797-46E2-A098-A02DBFCA4786.jpeg
Here everything is epoxied in place. I just need to trim it out and put some clear paint on.0BB2F2A1-C0E2-4A8B-BA36-66659F51EE32.jpeg
3E7D4759-EF0B-4B80-9CDD-4619AB724147.jpeg
I made up a little rope out of six pieces of different colored thread and twisted it with a bit of glue. Then I used it to lace the base of the rod. After that was glued I wound the rod twice with gold thread, to strengthen the attachments where they all overlap, and for looks.

C77C9A86-54E1-4E6B-A97A-A2BC90EB507F.jpeg
The winding on the right conceals a small flaw in the rod from wear.

It’s been fished with a dozen times and rode around in my boat all over the state. Still looks pretty good though and it will look better when it gets a coat of clear paint.

The trimming was done somewhat in respect to the Fenwick.DAF966F2-3DCC-4B88-8487-B7B1784A3FBE.jpeg

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
Nice job. Many moons ago I used to build custom rods with custom threadwork (diamonds, flags, chevrons etc. etc.) You can build a better rod than mass produced rods because "most" commercially produced rods are not splined correctly, have guide placement all wrong, misaligned guides and generally use subpar components. These days I repair rods (new guides, tip tops etc.) People no longer want to pay for custom rods with custom threadwork.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Thank you. It will look nicer after I clean up the glue and clear coat the threads. It needs to cure more first, and I was too impatient to post the pix. ;)

Reactions: aussieman57

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I scraped off a little excess glue with a razor knife and buffed this off with a microfiber cloth, then gave it several coats of clear plastic paint. Here is pretty easy to see that my wrapping was not perfectly uniform
39B3DD97-26C4-4050-8335-9086AAB41E08.jpeg
I’m afraid it looks a bit homemade but it will do quite nicely just the same. I’m thinking I should have used more glue on the little rope, twisted it better, cured it longer, and flattened it with a roller before I laced it on.

Even worse, I didn’t realize that the yellow thread was picking up dirt as I put it on there. It looks like I skimped on the thread and you can see Black Eagle rod showing through, but this is not the case. Those wrappings are thick. And dirty. ;(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store