Ph fluctuations

code

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2023
So Iv been keeping fish since 2014. Iv never done a fully planted tank. With root feeders. So my PH is always stable. In my community tank I can do an 80% WC... if I have to because the only difference is phosphates and nitrates. So , when using a buffering substrate like stratum, how do you manage Water changes and PH Swings?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I find the more water changes I do, the more stable my pH and other water parameters remain, always close to my 8.2 pH tap water.
I try to do a simple 30% water change every other day, as opposed to a large one less frequently.
My 6ft planted tank below.
IMG_0231.jpeg
IMG_2426.jpeg
The substrate is sand and not deep, except for sand that fills the 12' bamboo tubes the mangrove trees are planted in.
IMG_0426.jpeg

code

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2023
Cool looking tank. I like it. Thanks for sharing. I want to set up a heavily planted tank that stays relatively stable with very infrequent water changes. It's for a small colony of cherry shrimp. I think I'm going to go with a light layer of soil capped with flourite from seachem. Flourite as I understand is an inert substrate that soaks up nutrients over time. I watched some videos and apparently the flourite should absorb nutrients from the bottom soil layer.

Any one done this?

I don't want large parameter or ph fluctuations ever time I do a water change. So I'm scared to try stratum. Or aqua soil

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Just do small water changes…especially for a heavily planted shrimp tank. Shrimp don’t like large water changes anyways. Feed them sparingly…they get plenty grazing on algae, Indian almond leaves, oak leaves, blanched spinach leaf, etc. When I had a thriving neocaridina tank, they were fed a tiny bit of pellets only 3 times a week

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store