pike as a green terror tank mate

Thalassa

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2020
I have a good size green terror and wondering if a pike would make a good tank mate? I have always like pikes was thinking maybe a belly crawler....

Thanks

Reactions: tlindsey

JoePikeStrike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2022
I would say absolutely not... Northern Pike, if what I assume you mean, are mid water predators that slowly patrol and have a very, very, very notorious reputation of biting onto things they shouldn't, even if they cant eat it. Go see a fishing video about pike fishing and you can see some rather impulsive bites from hungry pike.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
How large is the aquarium the green terror in?
How long has the green terror been alone?
You may be ok but if aquarium is not large enough and the green terror doesn't want a tankmate it will cause issues.

Reactions: kno4te

Thalassa

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2020
it is 7inch GT in a 55g with 15 large Tetra (Buenos aries and colombian) he is pretty easy going but is slowly taking them out maybe 1 every few weeks. I was thinking if I drop in a good sized belly crawler now with the other fish he will be distracted and there are some good hiding places.

JoePikeStrike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2022
it is 7inch GT in a 55g with 15 large Tetra (Buenos aries and colombian) he is pretty easy going but is slowly taking them out maybe 1 every few weeks. I was thinking if I drop in a good sized belly crawler now with the other fish he will be distracted and there are some good hiding places.
May be a bit too small, really. At least for adults. Just the pike and green terror may work, but both are aggressive species to start.

Thalassa

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2020
yeah I was worried about that, should probably leave well enough alone he is doing great, will wait till I get a bigger tank.

Reactions: Jexnell

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If the tank were a 6 ft 100+ gal, it might work, but a 55, is a very small box.
Even though the pike may be able to share a 100+ with the GT, I doubt the tetras would last long.
I was able to keep belly crawlers in a 150 gal with other similar size S American cichlids, but any potential pike prey like tetras or live bearers were quickly eliminated.
1665227994033.png

Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store