Pike Cichlid Breeding Programme

Kutty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Somewhere in S'pore
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here, but I already have questions to ask! I have a 4'' female Crenicichla alta and a 3'' male Crenicichla alta. However, the male is way too thin, young and stressed to breed. My female is another matter altogether. She has been aggressive towards my pleco and my hands (and fingers) and also digging and re-arranging decor quite a bit. Are these pre-spawning behavior? My LFS has two more 4'' Cr. alta males, I hope they don't get sold out (I'm going there tomorrow or Sunday). My female's abdomen is becoming a light red; would she be interested in any of the males if I put them in her tank? (The male who is currently on a hunger strike is separated from my female for safety reasons)

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
Kutty said:
I don't believe you guys despise newbies like me and refuse to help them!
yup pretty much

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Kutty said:
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here, but I already have questions to ask! I have a 4'' female Crenicichla alta and a 3'' male Crenicichla alta. However, the male is way too thin, young and stressed to breed. My female is another matter altogether. She has been aggressive towards my pleco and my hands (and fingers) and also digging and re-arranging decor quite a bit. Are these pre-spawning behavior? My LFS has two more 4'' Cr. alta males, I hope they don't get sold out (I'm going there tomorrow or Sunday). My female's abdomen is becoming a light red; would she be interested in any of the males if I put them in her tank? (The male who is currently on a hunger strike is separated from my female for safety reasons)
A lot of p.cichlids like to hide and often dig depressions and like to rearrange your tank, I had a white spotted that would move all the gravel in a29g from one end to the other and then back. Try some potted plants and make some small caves. They will probably take to lurking in the caves with thier noses sticking out waiting for a little fishy to ambush. I don't remember if altas are the dwarves or not, If not they are way to mall to breed yet, most get 10-18" as adults. For your male try dim lighting and small guppies or glass shrimp to get him feeding.

guesswho2005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2005
Medowlakes,Alaska
Kutty said:
I don't believe you guys despise newbies like me and refuse to help them!
Everyones new at one time...except the ones who starting this forum. They are a little bit higher on the food chain so to speak so just bow/curtsy evey now and then they like it. (joking) :grinno:

Try some 4" - 6" clay pots from your locale garden store wash a few times and place them in a corner and have some cover plants it might induce them to breed.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
PVC piping works really well for pike cichlid homes. Endless selection of sizes and shapes too..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store