Piranha Species Information

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I did read that serras are more carnivorous than pygos. A lot of this is species dependent though, and both like a lot of meat in their diet.
I like how serras are like if cichlids had the teeth of piranhas, but pygos will always be my favorite.

As for shrimp, that depends on the species. Neos are fine on plant matter, but predatory shrimp will need meat.

Reactions: David Tyson

David Tyson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2021
What is your reason for liking pygos more than serras? I am confused on which to keep between pygocentrus piraya and serrasalmus rhombeus. I want to keep the largest species of piranha(by weight) but I don't know which one is larger(heavier) among the two species(rhom and piraya). Do you have any information to share about this? It would be a great favor if you could help me choose between the two species.

I'm planning of growing shrimps myself in aquaponics system to feed my piranhas because it would be expensive to buy shrimps from the market. So, I want to raise shrimps at a low cost. The shrimp species that I am planning to keep is macrobrachium rosenbergii aka the giant river prawn. Can this species live and grow healthy on a vegetarian diet?

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
What is your reason for liking pygos more than serras? I am confused on which to keep between pygocentrus piraya and serrasalmus rhombeus. I want to keep the largest species of piranha(by weight) but I don't know which one is larger(heavier) among the two species(rhom and piraya). Do you have any information to share about this? It would be a great favor if you could help me choose between the two species.

I'm planning of growing shrimps myself in aquaponics system to feed my piranhas because it would be expensive to buy shrimps from the market. So, I want to raise shrimps at a low cost. The shrimp species that I am planning to keep is macrobrachium rosenbergii aka the giant river prawn. Can this species live and grow healthy on a vegetarian diet?
Looks like the macrobrachium is omnivorous. So it can live off of plant matter, throwing some type of pellet in wouldn’t hurt. They do need brackish to breed I read. If you can get marbled crayfish, they breed asexually.
I like pygos just because I like the “school of piranhas” aspect and like the bulldog face look…and red bellies are one of my favorite fish.
I haven’t gotten to keep serras yet so I can’t comment much there.
My reading is that piraya is the bigger piranha. It maxes at 20 inches and 3.2 kg, while rhom is 18 inches and 3.0 kg.
Not sure how this may change in captivity though.

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
Which one has more body weight between serrasalmus rhombeus(black piranha) and pygocentrus piraya(san francisco piranha)? Which one can bite the hardest?
well depends on what u mean body weight.. like in the wild? piraya easily get 18” in the aquarium.. rhoms wont or mybe they will after decades of ownership lol..they both bite hard, if ur asking for pounds of pressure i dont think anyone has tested them. I can tell u tho any 18” rhom or piraya can take a finger off.

David Tyson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2021
Deadeye Deadeye But I suppose this data for serrasalmus rhombeus is wrong.

watch this video: This man catches a black piranha that is approximately 7 and a half pounds (3.4 kg) in front of the camera. And this video also says that he caught other five piranhas all over 7 pounds (3.175 kg; almost the max weight of the piraya at 3.2 kg) over the next hour.

Reactions: Deadeye

David Tyson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2021
"well depends on what u mean body weight.." like in the wild? piraya easily get 18” in the aquarium.. rhoms wont or mybe they will after decades of ownership lol..they both bite hard, if ur asking for pounds of pressure i dont think anyone has tested them. I can tell u tho any 18” rhom or piraya can take a finger off.
By body weight, I mean which will be heavier if you measure them on a spring balance. I am asking for the max weight of serrasalmus rhombeus and pygocentrus piraya.

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com

I owned natts, cariba, rhom, manny, geryi..own altispinis, sanchezi.. they all the same to be honest other than looks.. now u want help to choose so ill be honest.. First difference>>>u can have a shoal or solo..pygos are can in shoals and the frenzy is awesome.. rhoms/serras are like collectibles, if u like ”rare”.. both species have skittish tendencies Which is a hit or miss with rhoms...not all rhoms hit glass or ”glassbangers“ and they do not go after ur hand inside the tank. Second, Pygos grow wayyy faster than serras. Third, u said u want to get a big one.. question is where will u get it. u rarely see Pirayas being sold let alone a big one so u have to grow it. From 3-4”>> 18” is prolly 8-10 years.. now with Rhom A big one like 15-17” will prolly cost u $1000..and they dont come by easy..the only deciding factor really is which look u like best, and how much are u willing to pay for it. I hope this helps

David Tyson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2021
The solo or shoal part is not a concern because I am fine with both. I am planning to keep them in a 15,000 gallon swimming pool. I will get it from anywhere, that is a secondary concern, I am okay to even keep it for decades to attain that size, the only concern is that which one between the two(rhom and piraya) has the potential to get to the largest size(in terms of weight; heaviest)?

Last edited:

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
I did read that serras are more carnivorous than pygos. A lot of this is species dependent though, and both like a lot of meat in their diet.
I like how serras are like if cichlids had the teeth of piranhas, but pygos will always be my favorite.

As for shrimp, that depends on the species. Neos are fine on plant matter, but predatory shrimp will need meat.
After owning 2 pygo and 5 serra species of piranhas im with u on the pygos> price wise, and feeding is awesome.**people might deny it but feeding live a group of pygos is why people initially buy piranhas**

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
The solo or shoal part is not a concern because I am fine with both. I am planning to keep them in a 15,000 gallon swimming pool. I will get it from anywhere, that is a secondary concern, I am okay to even keep it for decades to attain that size, the only concern is that which one between the two(rhom and piraya) has the potential to get to the largest size(in terms of weight; heaviest)?
Id say piraya, since thats the one that we truly see videos of big ones and even on my fb group thats what we know and even according to Frank Magallanes( piranha researcher). but ive seen a video of a manueli which is the biggest piranha i have seen. So noone really can tell u exact sizes. im sure everyone here can tell u only based on what theyve read and from videos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store