Plant only filtration (why not popular in the hobby???)

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
TheRussian;5003970; said:
cant believe you are groing any plants with that led it has like 6 watts for a ten gallon
Haha I didn't even have a light for a few weeks waiting for my LED's.. All sunlight ;)

AOmonsta;5004005; said:
I just threw a couple peace lillies in my tank the other day. I love the way they look.
Wahoo I'm not alone!!!! :D

erk419;5003982; said:
I got a question, would the same setup work with the same effects if you had the plants in a sump instead of the main tank?
Yes, agreed with what James said above. I was avoiding that approach because I want the plants to not require lighting or effort from me in any way. (I kill plants) I may go more high tech but not on a small "fun" tank.

And for the rtc, aro etc.. guys, everything is relative if you have a goal. It's not hard to pump to a seperate source on a larger scale if you wanted to. Really rough example being a big tub, grow rack and a pacu:

pacu = poops (pumped to grow rack)
poop = feeds plants in grow rack
plants = grow fruit
fruit = feeds pacu
repeat

^ I know this is not a great or even real world example but would be great if someone were able to dial in the details. I really want to attempt a system in the near future that is self sustaining or as close to it as possible.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Oh well, i might go over to the dark side if I could find an AC110 here in SG.
But the thing is most of the HOBs available over here are so small, it could only fit 1~3 plants.

Might try getting an Overhead filter and empty out all the contents and place plants but it isn't easy to find one for a 6ft tank.

HackJob

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
NH
does the duckweed take over the top of the water? I've heard it's great at sucking up waste but it grows non-stop and it can get pretty thick. Also I know folks use it in their pond set up for goldfish/ koi, they seem to love it...

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
HackJob;5004849; said:
does the duckweed take over the top of the water? I've heard it's great at sucking up waste but it grows non-stop and it can get pretty thick. Also I know folks use it in their pond set up for goldfish/ koi, they seem to love it...
Yeah it takes over. I added it on purpose though. I don't care about the duckweed filtering anything its there for cover. The LEDs were a little too bright for little dude so I added this for cover. I like the swamp look too TBH.

HackJob

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
NH
so I have to say is there poll for duckweed: yes or no?

I can see benefits, but the part where it doesn't go away, it's like a tattoo...

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Justin I will be watching and am curious to see how it goes on the 120g.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store