planted Piranha tank. POST YOUR PICS please

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
here's my old mix pygo setup

This is not mine (a member on an other p forum but it looks great so I'd like to share it with everyone here.

Matte_g

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Sweden
www.diskusforum.se
Foster;4177475; said:
I love you floating plants Matte, I looked into that but the idiot wanted to sell me 2 thumb nail sized plants for a buck. Do they multiply well or is it highway robbery?
I have had some problems with them this time but usually once you get them in the tank you will never get rid of them..
I think its because i do water changes every other day to clean water.
And they multiply so you need trow away some every water change if you get them to enjoy the tank.

I got some new floating plant this weekend riccia fluitans that's what the aquascapers us on the bottom of the tank but its great as a floating plant as well.

Hydrocotyle leucocephala the plant HarleyK have on the top right side of the tank can also be used as a floating plant.

PEVINE11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
Franklin N.H
www.myspace.com
HarleyK;4176651; said:
220 gal. No CO2. :D

WOW, how did you do that with no CO2? do you get alge problems?

My subtrate is about 2.75 -> 3.25 inchs deep depending on where your looking.

Some amazing tanks with amazing looking fish! wow!

To those with planted tanks...... ever tried like ghost shrimp? does the piranha eat them? i think im going to get a few..... i mean like 67 cents who cares if he snacks on them.

Also, how often do you waterchange? when i feed frozen beefheart and krill he makes a mess of the stuff......

when i do like shrimp or haddock from the seafood deprment he barley makes a mess of that.

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
PEVINE11;4177755; said:
he did a co2 myth debunk in the planted section it's a sicky but i honestly don't think half the people in that forum have read it, they are far too brainwashed by the aqaurium product industry to think for themselves.

Lieberg's law states: the one nuitrient a plant (or anything) is short of is the one that limits growth (very rarely is this co2) even if everything else is over abundant. - that's basicaly a paraphrased excerpt from that sticky

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
PEVINE11;4177755; said:

My subtrate is about 2.75 -> 3.25 inchs deep depending on where your looking.

Some amazing tanks with amazing looking fish! wow!

To those with planted tanks...... ever tried like ghost shrimp? does the piranha eat them? i think im going to get a few..... i mean like 67 cents who cares if he snacks on them.

Also, how often do you waterchange? when i feed frozen beefheart and krill he makes a mess of the stuff......

when i do like shrimp or haddock from the seafood deprment he barley makes a mess of that.
I think he just uses planet food and lots of light (400W I think). He keeps light on for a few hrs then off for a few hrs then on for few hrs again, told me that that's because algae needs a continuous long period of light to grow but plants will do fine with shorter period of light.
he also has a auto water changing system so small amount of new water is being added daily.

BRUNER247;4178196; said:
JP do you remember how big those fish were? That tank seems awful short or them fish are huge.
the tank is a bit shy of 300 gallon, the caribes are just really big, I think range around 10-14"

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

BRUNER247;4176681; said:
That's NICE!! My piranhas would love to chew that up!lol
Really? What species?

Matte_g;4177631; said:
Foster;4176687; said:
Whats that gigantic mass on the right because thats just awesome.
Hydrocotyle leucocephala the plant HarleyK have on the top right side of the tank can also be used as a floating plant.
Matte got it :thumbsup:

PEVINE11;4177755; said:
I think that's answered by fellow members as well :)

PEVINE11;4177755; said:
To those with planted tanks...... ever tried like ghost shrimp? does the piranha eat them? i think im going to get a few.....
I have an active breeding colony of red cherry shrimp in the tank shown above

100_0569.jpg

While we're at it, I also have breeding Endlers

100_0607.jpg

and some red crabs in that tank.

Copy of IMG_9137.JPG

HarleyK

BRUNER247

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Misery
Rbp Harley. They love shredding mine!!they seem to like swords but most other plants If they don't approve, its toast!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store