Plastic Substrate

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; There are hoses for use with RV's that are supposed to be safe for filling drinking water tanks. Will these be also safe for aquarium use?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Hello; There are hoses for use with RV's that are supposed to be safe for filling drinking water tanks. Will these be also safe for aquarium use?
I've been using plain old garden hoses, for wc, for years with no apparent ill affect to the fish I've kept.

They also sell pvc pipes that are drinking water safe, but plenty of people(including me) use just regular pvc for filtration systems.....no apparent ill affect either

Whether these over sights may potentially shorten a fishs' life span by a year or so.........who knows

Last edited:

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Hello; Any chance that a ray will ingest (eat) the plastic?
I guess theres about as much chance of ingesting plastic beads as they do sand or gravel. As long as its inert, there probably wouldn' t be a problem I suppose. Children swallow plastic toys and things all the time.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I guess theres about as much chance of ingesting plastic beads as they do sand or gravel. As long as its inert, there probably wouldn' t be a problem I suppose. Children swallow plastic toys and things all the time.
Hello; There are reports of ocean fish and cows eating plastic stuff. Some years ago I heard on PBS radio about cows in India eating the plastic shopping bags that are so common. The plastic interfered with their ability to digest food. For fish and other ocean creatures there is also the problem of being entangled in addition to being swallowed.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Hello; There are reports of ocean fish and cows eating plastic stuff. Some years ago I heard on PBS radio about cows in India eating the plastic shopping bags that are so common. The plastic interfered with their ability to digest food. For fish and other ocean creatures there is also the problem of being entangled in addition to being swallowed.
Yeah, this is nothing new. Sea turtles eating plastic bags have been a long time well publicized concern. Cows eating plastic bags is a new old for me though. I believe that the harm comes in how much(and often) plastic is being ingested. Well, if the plastic doesn't harm it there's always the ingestion of pollutants like mercury and cadmium. I can't foresee rays finding plastic beads palatable. Heck, some people have a hard time even getting them to eat regular food like raw shrimp.

Maritimer

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2015
Eastern Canada
I had an ugf once but the substrate held it down, you are most likely right I have just never seen a plastic dense enough to sink I guess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store