Please help im a beginner

❤️ my yellow lab

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2023
Hi there.thanks for your post.right so they are eating flakes but I thought maybe the pellets would be best,as the flakes they don't eat I net out and can find this quite difficult esp when it lands...I read when you feed them anything left over try and take straight out the tank...not only because of this reason but also I read that pellets were in fact better than flakes for them..il take some pics when up and if you or anyone could advise on what's best.please do .I've had them over 3 months so a little while. I had the tank same amount of time..they seem happy little fellas or girls..when they here my voice they start looking for me they really do.they will swim to each end looking out to see where I am ...if I'm on the phone il look round to see them all staring at me .there personalities are absolutely priceless 💖 ..thanks again
Here are my babies lol

Screenshot_20231019_151958_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231019_151853_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231019_151823_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231019_150140_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231019_145356_Gallery.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Going off the order in this post.
I’m pretty confident that #1 is a lab and #2 and #5 show socolofi cichlids.
Looks like a red zebra in the back in #5 as well, unless that’s the same fish as in #3.
#3 could be another lab but I’m not confident there.
No idea on #4, but looks like it could be in the genus maylandia.

If you can get a 55 gallon, they would be fine. The problem with mbuna is that even the peaceful ones are some of the meanest jerks of a fish out there.

❤️ my yellow lab

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2023
Only a few mbuna species would work out in a 120 L. I tried keeping a group in a 36 gallon tank and constantly struggled with keeping them from killing each other. Eventually it fully broke down and one by one even the toughest dropped.
Getting a 4 foot tank would make your life (and theirs) a lot easier in the long run.
One thing I’ve found that helps reduce uneaten food is to feed slowly. Put in a little at a time to allow the food to get eaten up before adding more.
A sorry to hear that..thank you for your help..I did what u said tonite and there was no waste...so yeh thank u ..I was so out of my depth when I first got them,that even the obvious would escape me..lol..I'm getting the hang of it....I even changed my heater to one I could adjust the temp without putting my hands in...I take on board everybodys advice

Reactions: Deadeye

❤️ my yellow lab

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2023
Welcome to the forum, there's a lot of help here. As mentioned a picture would help identify your fish, but I think you're fine for a few months. I would probably try to get a 190l, 50 gal or bigger long term though. As for the pellets, what brand are they? It's common for fish to be picky when switching foods, but keep trying, don't give them anything else for a few days while trying the pellets and they may take them when they get hungry. Even if they refuse the pellets they'll be fine without eating for a couple of days. It sounds like you're doing a lot right. This can be a confusing hobby when you first get started but it sounds like you've learned a lot already and are putting in the work to keep them healthy. Good for you! You also may consider some type of small bottom feeder like a bristlenose pleco or rubber lip pleco. There's many that would quickly outgrow your tank but these 2 kinds stay small and can help with algae, but also will eat the food that escapes .
Hey.thanks so much for you advice.i was gonna say you wouldn't believe how many YouTube vids I've watched and other sights I looked up..I see one said this is not for a lazy person and they was so right..these definitely keep me on my toes..I care very much for them .soon as I got them I started learning about them..I know now I really should have known before I got them...hindsight ay lol..I'm learning all the time..I brought so mu h then upgraded.lol..the next tank I want sand substrate or crushed shell then just rocks..some anubias maybe java..not too sure on planting yet..Will need to read up more..so yeh..want to make it as best as I can for them...they are biggie,ray.blue,baby,sunny..thanks again

Reactions: Cal Amari

❤️ my yellow lab

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2023
I would just like to say thank you from myself.biggie,Ray,sunny,blue,baby fir all the advice I have received from you all...I have taken on board all of it.it will definitely help me yo provide just what my cichlids need..I will continue yo learn and do the best I can for them..whatever it means...if I need to know anything il definitely be asking Again..no more Google searches.lol..thanks guys..

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

❤️ my yellow lab

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2023
I would just like to say thank you from myself.biggie,Ray,sunny,blue,baby fir all the advice I have received from you all...I have taken on board all of it.it will definitely help me yo provide just what my cichlids need..I will continue yo learn and do the best I can for them..whatever it means...if I need to know anything il definitely be asking Again..no more Google searches.lol..thanks guys..
Ps the yo act means to...lol 😞 sorry

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Ps the yo act means to...lol 😞 sorry
Don’t worry - plenty of typos on here. Technology is great isn’t it?

As for plants, being primarily vegetarian means that mbunas probably won’t let many last long. Tough ones like Anubias or fast growers like Val can work but no guarantees.
Even the carnivorous cichlids dig them up for fun…

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
You have not bought the 120 liter tank yet right? Just buy a bigger tank. I see a variety of fish in there, you definitely want to get them identified to see how they will do together as they mature even if they are playing nice right now. And what size tank would work...think in terms of 284 liters or larger.

Sinister-Kisses

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
#1 appears to be a saulosi. It's a bit brighter yellow than normal, but that could just be the photo. Based on body/head/mouth shape, very much appears to be a saulosi.

#2 is a poorly bred or possibly hybrid kenyi.

#3 is a socolofi.

#4 is a yellow lab.

#5 honestly looks like a juvenile kingsizei, though I'm not SUPER confident on that one...and depending on where you bought them, not something I'd expect to see in most mixed African tanks at fish stores like the rest are.

I haven't read through all the previous posts, but these are definitely not suitable for a 20 gallon tank. You'd need a minimum of a 55gal as suggested if you want to keep these fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store