Possibilities of making a large outdoor saltwater pond

shushiboi1234

Feeder Fish
Apr 11, 2024
Hi, I was interested in building a large outdoor pond/lake that's saltwater with a marine ecosystem (mostly so I could farm marine food or just to fish). Eventually down the line, I'd be interested in buying a lot of cheap remote land in the mojave/sonoran desert regions to homestead in. I've read a couple threads here about this topic, where water vaporizing and rain water could mess with salinity and other important water parameters (plus the ground water in those areas if I were to supply this pond/lake with that water, is heavy with minerals so no doubt a filtration system from the supply system would be crucial).

I've come up with a couple ideas to work around these issues. In regards to rainwater, I thought about building an adjacent runoff canal connecting to an empty large hole that would collect excess runoff water which once the excess water drains in and vaporizes away, I could recollect the salt again. As for water levels falling due to vaporizing, I could have a floater that activates the pump automatically and shuts off until it reaches a certain level. Of course I would add pavement underneath all of this so the surrounding minerals dont imbalance the water's parameters as well as the salt water sinking through the dirt and contaminating the ground water.

These are basic ideas that of course I need to develop further, but in regards to establishing a self sustainable ecosystem that cleans itself (without waves nor currents since this would be a lake/pond) what sort of fauna and flora would be essential to this? Like algae eaters, coral, perhaps mangroves? How much water, space, and depth would be important to actually make a self-sustainable ecosystem work? In terms of marine life adapted to the southwestern climate, I thought about those from the Sea of Cortez or Baja California since they are adapted to the warm desert tropical climate (there's also mangroves from said region as well). Just a few thoughts, but I'm seriously interested in thinking this thru to make this more possible.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I can’t comment on all of the logistics, but as for flow, thats something you’re going to need.
The currents in the ocean are very strong, and you will need to replicate that for anything to survive.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi, I was interested in building a large outdoor pond/lake that's saltwater with a marine ecosystem (mostly so I could farm marine food or just to fish). Eventually down the line, I'd be interested in buying a lot of cheap remote land in the mojave/sonoran desert regions to homestead in. I've read a couple threads here about this topic, where water vaporizing and rain water could mess with salinity and other important water parameters (plus the ground water in those areas if I were to supply this pond/lake with that water, is heavy with minerals so no doubt a filtration system from the supply system would be crucial).

I've come up with a couple ideas to work around these issues. In regards to rainwater, I thought about building an adjacent runoff canal connecting to an empty large hole that would collect excess runoff water which once the excess water drains in and vaporizes away, I could recollect the salt again. As for water levels falling due to vaporizing, I could have a floater that activates the pump automatically and shuts off until it reaches a certain level. Of course I would add pavement underneath all of this so the surrounding minerals dont imbalance the water's parameters as well as the salt water sinking through the dirt and contaminating the ground water.

These are basic ideas that of course I need to develop further, but in regards to establishing a self sustainable ecosystem that cleans itself (without waves nor currents since this would be a lake/pond) what sort of fauna and flora would be essential to this? Like algae eaters, coral, perhaps mangroves? How much water, space, and depth would be important to actually make a self-sustainable ecosystem work? In terms of marine life adapted to the southwestern climate, I thought about those from the Sea of Cortez or Baja California since they are adapted to the warm desert tropical climate (there's also mangroves from said region as well). Just a few thoughts, but I'm seriously interested in thinking this thru to make this more possible.
Welcome aboard

Reactions: shushiboi1234

shushiboi1234

Feeder Fish
Apr 11, 2024
I appreciate the feedback and the encouragement to pursue this project.

I can’t comment on all of the logistics, but as for flow, thats something you’re going to need.
The currents in the ocean are very strong, and you will need to replicate that for anything to survive.
In regards to the waves or currents I will definitely look into that, perhaps shaping the topography that creates multiple venturi effects is an option, as well as a couple waterfalls and pumps, although I would like to keep electronic hardware and machines to a minimum. There are artificial wave makers that I could also explore, although the depth of the lake/pond with the warm water on the surface and the cooler water below will also play an important role. I will also look into what giant aquariums or what places like sea world uses to create strong currents, although I want to use as much natural means as possible to create these effects.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store