Potamotrygon Hystrix, hard to keep?

Xite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
SWEDEN :)
found a female at 10" that costs 150$ here in Sweden and from what i have read on the internet about Potamotrygon Hystrix they all tells that this is one of the easiest rays to keep and now I would like to know a thing or two about how they are to keep since there is not much info on the internet about Potamotrygon Hystrix

-Daniel

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
they are not hard to keep at all. Just adhere to good fishkeeping contact such as great water quality and a healthy diet of ghost shrimp(for young ones) and feeder goldfish, shrimp, worms and such food for adults. and u got yourself a nice fish. :headbang2

you can go two ways i have seen with these rays. 1-is a bare bottom tank, this requires a bit more water changes as the debris on the tank bottom is more visible or 2- put a thin layer of subrate, not too course for small specimens with lots of free swimming space along the tank floor as this is their zone and they stick there unless they wonder up on the side panels of the tank.

Tank mates-preferable non but if you do choose non boisterous fish that stay in the upper levels of the tank and dont bother the rays. small fish that can fit into their mouths are a NO.

its great watching how gracefully they hover along the bottom of the tank. :cool:

DRaGoNoVA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2005
Singapore
Xite said:
found a female at 10" that costs 150$ here in Sweden and from what i have read on the internet about Potamotrygon Hystrix they all tells that this is one of the easiest rays to keep and now I would like to know a thing or two about how they are to keep since there is not much info on the internet about Potamotrygon Hystrix

-Daniel
i disagree. hystrix ray usually die for no reason at all. adivse u to get a motoro or pdr instead they are more hardy

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
DRaGoNoVA said:
i disagree. hystrix ray usually die for no reason at all. adivse u to get a motoro or pdr instead they are more hardy
And I disagree with you. Granted, the smaller species of ray-hystrix/reticula-are less hardy and forgiving than their larger counterparts, they do not die for no reason. 9.9 times out of 10, the problem can be traced back to water quality. Even a subtle ammonia spike can be devastating for smaller rays. Just make sure you do your homework before hand, take time to acclimate the fish properly (drip for 2-3 HOURS), and monitor water parameters religiously. Oh yeah, water changes water changes water changes!!!! Once a week at least.

Reactions: Matteus

zhuangsw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
Xite said:

-Daniel
imho, all rays like motoro and leos are hardy rays, compared to recticulata and histrix. if can get one of those.

if really need to, rays do well provided you are hard working in doing your water change and make sure your filtration is mature. Plus they have high metobolism rate, so make sure you feed them enough food everyday.

rvrrays

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Kalamazoo, Michigan
In my experience, histrix rays are no harder to keep than any other ray.

Small, skinny rays of any kind are a risk.

If you can find a healthy, thick, 10" histrix that eats for $150 you have yourself a great deal.

Buy that ray. Feed it a variety of good foods and do your water changes.

You will be very happy.

Colin

Cimmel1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2005
Canada
I had a hysrix a couple of years ago and it seemed to be doing great, eating well and very active. One day it started dashing around the tank and before the evening it was laying on its back dead! I have some experience keeping rays and have never encountered anything else like this. From my experience i'd say hystrix are not very hardy rays. My motoro and leopoldi seem to be bulletproof.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store