Project L236

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Getting anything into Canada from the US these days is not easy. Before Covid people would drive it across. Canadians would drive across to the US, buy and drive home. Shippers might send the fish to an American near the border for this. Not any more ?

My final count for the Bidrovcan line offspring was 74. For the true F1 173 it was 185. I have 5 more tanks to go. This is nuts, I am a hobbyist not a fish fatm......
Oh yes this I know for sure!!! But I always say it never hurts to let your intentions be known, very much wishful thinking

that is an astounding number of fish

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
I have begun listing fish. And ny fish insist upon spawning. I need to sell the breeding groups or I will be overrun.

I know I have at least another 100-125 fish available if I can ever get to them. Add the breeders I am ready to let go and it is more like 150- 180. I am getting way too old for this stuff......

The above doesn't count the two tanks of zebras and the one of spawning 236 super whites.

LTS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2018
Awesome, I have a couple coming my way this week ?

Reactions: Niki_up

LTS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2018
Oooo post em up when you get them!!!!
They arrived safe today but I was only able to get a photo of one of them before they vanished in the tank ?

9C84E9D5-E2A7-4EE3-B97C-394CB69526A9.jpeg

• Love

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Just wanted to update this thread!
I DID IT! Below is some information about the breeding and raising so far.

Just a little over a year and they have bred for me this past March.

If I had to guess I would say they had about 25/30 eggs.

I moved some fry into a 40g grow out tank along with some L333’s that were born about the same time. I left the other fry in the tank with the parents.

I’m not sure if it was because the tank was a new setup or what happened but I lost about 10 of the babies that were moved into the grow out tank. I added IAL to the tank after about 8 loses and haven’t lost any since. Coincidence or luck? Not sure

the babies the at were left in the cave with the dad were kicked out pretty quickly once they hatched and grew a little. I found this surprising as my l046 zebra plecos let the fry stay in their cave for as long as they want to, sometimes there’s multiple generations in the cave with the dad. Even while he has a female trapped and then when he is on a batch of eggs. He’s just not too concern Who’s in his cave with him.

the l236 SW on the other hand kicked the babies out or they left on their own accord and never returned. The male has been waiting for his females since the babies left.

the babies in the tank with the parents are growing a little faster than the babies in the grow out tank. I think this might be due to extra food on the surfaces in the mature tank vs the new bare bottom gore out tank. though the parents tank has way too many plecos in it currently and the babies have to compete for food.

Any finally a couple of pictures!
adults are the first couple of pictures
Then a pic of l333 (lower pleco) and a l236 (top pleco)
then In the parents tan and one in a container

5C0D0175-B33E-45F9-8C88-64E5228188E3.jpeg

62AD5BBE-D895-4E35-9FB9-EBF7CDE18E1F.jpeg

37668535-0BAB-4F82-BB4B-FDBAB9F5E5A7.jpeg

6EEEBA06-6720-406C-9CD6-8B9DEA15FEDD.jpeg

AF4CF65F-29F0-47D7-A8FD-62661D2552FE.jpeg

C81C1658-CD77-407F-A9CA-4B48C118586A.jpeg

456969A3-0C74-44AE-AD50-1B0970D289F4.jpeg

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
Nice!

I am one who believes that a lot of the B&W Hypans I keep and starting with zebras, that the fry need to obtain some of their gut bacteria by eating poop from older individuals. So, whenever I start a grow tank for smaller babies I move some of the poop from the breeding tank into the new grow tank. Over time as the fish grow and begin to be sold, I always leave a couple of the older larger fish in the grow tank to serve as poop suppliers as I move out the rest of the fish.

When I began with zebras I notices this growth difference early on and posted about it and discovered others had the same growth difference between grow and breeder tanks. The other thing I spotted with the zebras was that the Alpha male was the 2nd biggest not the biggest. Others have seen that as well. This I have not noticed in other Xingu B&W Hypans. But then I began having to many fish and tanks to be able to figure that out. I t may also hold in those tanks but I just never noticed.

My experience has been that the SW take a bit more time from birth to begin to spawn the the regulars.

Here are some of my offspring ready to go out.

SW236-6FishB2fish.jpg
SW236-6FishBsolo1.jpg

Usually when they start spawning they tend to continue. Make sure you keep up on diet quality. I recently bought a bunch of the Ebo-Aquaristk food from Germany. I spent tpp much moneu but the plecos and corys seem to like it and it is a high quality food. I am using it to replace the kensfish sticks which are not bad but, also not the best quality ingredients. The Ebo stuff is was costly to bring in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store