Puffer fish and pirahnas

thefishofdoom

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
California
puffers have poisen in there flesh and when bit the fish gets a dose and ether die or are parlyzed for a day or two so if ur fish bits one it should be quarentined for awhile

shekes

Jessica Rabbit
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
Toon Town
thefishofdoom said:
puffers have poisen in there flesh and when bit the fish gets a dose and ether die or are parlyzed for a day or two so if ur fish bits one it should be quarentined for awhile
Who is paralyzed the biter or the bitten, and who should be quaranteed?

FormulatedFire

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2005
Baltimore, Md
the puffer will release the poison and it will either kill or paralyze your rbp....and any mix other than another pygo will almost certainly lead to death with piranhas they are very unprodictable and that puffer may last a little bit of time if u keep them well fed but eventually they will turn on the puffer and kill it....hope that helps :thumbsup:

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I think that this is a bad idea but it might not be the puffer being eaten if you have well fed rbps, puffers have wicked jaws and large ones are notorious for biting holes in other fish. Either way, not good.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Only newly caught puffers will have tetradotoxin in their livers and gall bladders. As time passes, they'll lose this toxin in captivity. The toxin is retained from foods it hunts in the wild. It's not naturally produced in puffers.
And, there is no toxin in the flesh. I've eaten hundreds of wild caught puffers. So long as the abdominal cavity isn't pierced while cleaning them for the kitchen, there's no danger of poisoning.

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Illegal
www.wofc.org
That is correct, there is no toxin on the flesh of the puffer fish, wild caught or in captivity. The toxin is in the liver. Oddball speaks like he is an expert in fugu sashimi...ummm tasty.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Oddball said:
Only newly caught puffers will have tetradotoxin in their livers and gall bladders. As time passes, they'll lose this toxin in captivity. The toxin is retained from foods it hunts in the wild. It's not naturally produced in puffers.
And, there is no toxin in the flesh. I've eaten hundreds of wild caught puffers. So long as the abdominal cavity isn't pierced while cleaning them for the kitchen, there's no danger of poisoning.

Great info.. I was always under the impression that Teradotoxin was produced in a mucus slimecoat on the exterior of the pufferfish?

It is also interesting to hear they do not produce it themselves, but in their diet. I knew about the concetration of Tetradotoxin in the abdominal cavity, but I was unaware of the other information.

I must not of listened to Animal Planet very well..

Eating Fugu is just not worth dieing over ;)

dejavu69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Hershey, Pa
thanks for the information so if i would get a pufferfish now and qaurenteen it for a couple weeks its should be fine ta put in there i one i was interested in getting was a dwarf puffer fish and my rbp r def well feed so think its still a bad idea

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
Miles said:
It is also interesting to hear they do not produce it themselves, but in their diet. I knew about the concetration of Tetradotoxin in the abdominal cavity, but I was unaware of the other information.

I must not of listened to Animal Planet very well..

Eating Fugu is just not worth dieing over ;)
Animal Planet is trash. You really shouldn't waste your time on that mindless kiddy junk...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store