Puffers for a 20 gallon Long

Pout

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2005
Chicago
What type of puffers can i have in a 20 gallon Long Aquarium?How many could there be together?Can you post pictures of some?

Thanks,
Pout

Pout

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2005
Chicago
Bump(and i mean Freshwater Puffers)

Beansray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
Seminole
i think you can put an arrowhead,figure 8(a few i would think), definitely a few dwarf puffers, and maybe a greenspot puffer, although i actually beleive they are brackish. Im no puffer expert tho and i think you may get better answers in the "other monster fish" section

just my $.02-
Dillon

Cyclop3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Quebec, Canada
I would no consider anything else than dward puffers. For sure you could fit others like mentioned above, but presonally I think it's a very small aquarium for such a fish. They will be bored to turn in circles.

Plus puffers are not exactly your community fish...they tend to be very aggressive and pick at each other. I think dwarfs are not that bad i've seen a 20ish tank full of them once they were doing fine...

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
I think an arrowhead would be fine because for the most part they are not an active fish. they'll spend most of the time buried in the sand (if that's the substrate you provide...which you should ;) ) waiting for prey to pass by. other than that and the occasional stroll around the bottom of the tank, I never found the 2 I used to have to be active at all. they definitely like to stay hidden. :)

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
A 20g is big enough to breed dwarf red eyes in.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
guppy said:
A 20g is big enough to breed dwarf red eyes in.

very true...there are several smaller "red eye" species that only grow to 3" that would be fine in a 20 long. T. irrubesco, T. lorteti, T. cochinenshis(sp?) and T. salivator (never seen one available though) would also be fine in a 20 long. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store