Python Water Change

Rwils24

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2020
Hi everyone

Not sure if this is the right spot, or if it should just be general.

I am wondering how people dry out the inside of their python tube after a water change? It seems like mine is getting some algae or mold growth in it from being put away wet.

Thanks

scottts210

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2023
Hi everyone

Not sure if this is the right spot, or if it should just be general.

I am wondering how people dry out the inside of their python tube after a water change? It seems like mine is getting some algae or mold growth in it from being put away wet.

Thanks
When I'm done I just turn on the suction and raise the siphon end up above the level of the faucet in the sink and gather the hose in my hand making sure the water gets sucked out as I go.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I have never cleaned my python in 15 years of having it, but I do completely empty it so old water doesn't have a chance to get pumped into a tank during top offs

Reactions: Jexnell

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
SE USA
Mine got totally black inside. I used a small pump to recirculate a 10% bleach and water solution through it in a bucket. Cleaned up nicely but got black again over time. Don't think it hurts anything, so I just let it be.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
My python was connected to 50 ft tubing.. there was no way for me to get out old water and after 5 years of not using it they're still water in there 😂. Although I'm not using it anymore for my new tank.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I always completely drain my hose each use. Like manually raise a section over my head and walk all the water out into the sink. This last Python I used two years in this jungle 20231211_124537.jpg
And never got any kind of growth in the hose.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I had that problem and all my pythons were gross and were eventually thrown out. I found an easy trick that’s kept my current python looking brand new for several years. After doing a water change, I run hot water through the hose. It kills anything so no mold, algae, or whatever “gunk” has a chance of growing in the hose. Also, it evaporates and dries off a lot quicker.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store