Questionable Piranha Tank-mates

Marcel_h

Candiru
MFK Member
May 25, 2005
The Netherlands
I have an leporinus fasciatus by my rbp he lives with them for about an half year.

Aquaman Imports

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2007
rhode island/ new york
this is true you can keep piranhas with other fish, to an extent, while most commonly we know the end result, some htink its in humane trying to keep fish that get picked on fin/scale nipped or worse, although many people insist on trying it, plecos are hard bodied "armor" if you will but there eyes are not , tetras are commonly tried being fast and small, a good tetra kept with piranhas commonly is the paradoxus exodon, aka buck tooth tetra, also an aggressive specie, i have seen them even feed together and have many firends who keep them with caribe reds and more, never serrasalmus specie, but they do in fact lose some to the piranhas, armored cats i think fall into same category as plecos that i stated. Although it may be succesful to a point 9 times outta 10 ending result is in casuality, again caption for this thread is IMO so just my two thoughts, i have kept and sold piranhas for a long time now and i get this question very much, and always answer it the same way.

whiskey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2006
West Chester Pa. aka the dub
What about Trahira? I've got one that I'm thinking of throwing in with my Ps when he gets a little bigger

TheBloodyIrish

Feeder Fish
Mar 3, 2007
Grande Prairie, Canada
I would like to say that when my friends kept piranhas, he never had problem with tankmates. The only time he had problems is when he did not follow his normal feeding schedule and neglected them. Although, one time he overstocked the tank, and there was a fatal territorial battle according to his camera.

He also used to kept a daily log on their behavior to try and disprove his parents' idea that there are no suitable tankmate.

Joshy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2006
Essex, England
www.bbc.co.uk
Arguable catfish stand better chances of surviving in a piranha tank as they are out of sight. They are at the bottom, normally less active, and usually too small for the piranhas to make a meal out of. Three’ish weeks ago I saw a stunning red belly display, a dozen of them in a real Amazon look tank. And to my surprise he had shoals of cory catfish scurrying around the bottom among the thick plants and mass of bog wood.

Wish I had taken some pictures :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store