Rare fish theory

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
Any updates on the elopicthys bambusa that went out? the largest one I have is near 4" already! Big enough to eat the smaller ones! Feel free to post pictures, or give updates on this one.

Are people here really interested in the frontier of rare fish? We've seen much of South America, lots of Africa, most from Asian has been farm bred fish.

I've been working with wild Chinese fish for the past few years, as there are small fish that rival the colors of cardinal and neon tetras, and large monsters that rival African tiger fish!

As for rare fish, many of the ones that I've imported in the past few shipments have never made their way into the US in the past, just to name a few

elopicthys bambusa

siniperca scherzeri <---there are about 10 different species of these fish, and all different in color, shape and size. These are not the more common chinese siniperca chuatsi. Their max size range from 3" to 24" , personality, behavior like a datnoid.

Rhinogobius zhoui - this fish has never made a debut in the US

Protomyzon pachychilus - another incredible little guy

Leptobotia elongata-people say they have seen this fish around 10 years ago. I believe the ones that most people have seen and believe is elongata is actually leptobotia pelligrini, "royal clownloach" which is found in Southern China, where fish are exported.

The real elongata is found thousands of miles north of that region, where there are no tropical fish exporters, period. the two fish look very similar, much like the difference of a young hydrocynus vittatus and hydrocynus goliath, which still people have a hard time telling apart.

Siniperca scherzeri gold and platinum, those were imported back then from Korea, which has never made its way back to the US since!

Lates japonicus

I'll add more to this list

I'm not looking for accolades, I just want people to know how rare some of the fish they have are. People often wait and hope they'll find it at their local fish store, then to ask me a few months later when no longer available. Like the bagarius, I bring in yarelli, people ask for b. suchus. I bring in b. suchus people then ask for b. bagarius.

Feel free to chime in!

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
fugupuff;4396668; said:
Any updates on the elopicthys bambusa that went out? the largest one I have is near 4" already! Big enough to eat the smaller ones! Feel free to post pictures, or give updates on this one.

Are people here really interested in the frontier of rare fish? We've seen much of South America, lots of Africa, most from Asian has been farm bred fish.

I've been working with wild Chinese fish for the past few years, as there are small fish that rival the colors of cardinal and neon tetras, and large monsters that rival African tiger fish!

As for rare fish, many of the ones that I've imported in the past few shipments have never made their way into the US in the past, just to name a few

elopicthys bambusa

siniperca scherzeri <---there are about 10 different species of these fish, and all different in color, shape and size. These are not the more common chinese siniperca chuatsi. Their max size range from 3" to 24" , personality, behavior like a datnoid.

Rhinogobius zhoui - this fish has never made a debut in the US

Protomyzon pachychilus - another incredible little guy

Leptobotia elongata-people say they have seen this fish around 10 years ago. I believe the ones that most people have seen and believe is elongata is actually leptobotia pelligrini, "royal clownloach" which is found in Southern China, where fish are exported.

The real elongata is found thousands of miles north of that region, where there are no tropical fish exporters, period. the two fish look very similar, much like the difference of a young hydrocynus vittatus and hydrocynus goliath, which still people have a hard time telling apart.

Siniperca scherzeri gold and platinum, those were imported back then from Korea, which has never made its way back to the US since!

Lates japonicus

I'll add more to this list

I'm not looking for accolades, I just want people to know how rare some of the fish they have are. People often wait and hope they'll find it at their local fish store, then to ask me a few months later when no longer available. Like the bagarius, I bring in yarelli, people ask for b. suchus. I bring in b. suchus people then ask for b. bagarius.

Feel free to chime in!
Thanks Wes for sharing this with us. :) Looking forward to more info.

franchise513

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2008
Cincinnati
Wes you are the man, you bring in fish that people dont even see in aquariums where they charge people to get in. That imperial loach was something else, great fish, wish i would of had $$ and a tank to get one, they were awesome. Keep up the good work man, you are doing a great job.

Keep bringing in rare shipments and i will be checking too make sure your still bringing in raritys(sp/word?) LOL. Hopefully you can crack the code on the new cambodian Widebars i have been reading about and you can bring in some more stunning rare fish!

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
My bambusas are about 3.25"
Should be awesome once I put it in the outside pond.

Bahia Kelberi and snook are about 7"
Still evolving but looking better and better.

Brokopondos are about 7"+
Haven't seen too many posted but I'm sure a lot of people don't like to post.

14"+ Spinibarbus Denticulatus
Very nice fast swimmer in the pond. Always moving together.

All I can say is I wish I had more space and time for more rare fish.
If you bring them in I'll make more space. All I need is advance warning.

aquaculture

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
In search of Leiarius
Wes,

I don't have spare cash for whats left of the year, but i would love to buy from you next year.

I also think that you contribute to the hobbie is a must and should not go unnoticed , so I wish I could commerate you with gold and diamonds and cash, but for now all I have is a THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH !!!!

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
wow the brokopondos are incredible looking, don't tell me they look like any occelaris what people call occelaris, its nothing like one!

kendragon;4396752; said:
My bambusas are about 3.25"
Should be awesome once I put it in the outside pond.

Bahia Kelberi and snook are about 7"
Still evolving but looking better and better.

Brokopondos are about 7"+
Haven't seen too many posted but I'm sure a lot of people don't like to post.

14"+ Spinibarbus Denticulatus
Very nice fast swimmer in the pond. Always moving together.

All I can say is I wish I had more space and time for more rare fish.
f you bring them in I'll make more space. All I need is advance warning.

bassmasterp

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2008
Congo
The elopicthys bambusa are about 4'' and feeding constantly a real treat to have love there appetitie to eat and there swim pattern is cool hopefully I can raise them big... keep the rare fish coming! Thanks.

Dsc_0906.jpg

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
fugupuff;4396793; said:
wow the brokopondos are incredible looking, don't tell me they look like any occelaris what people call occelaris, its nothing like one!
Not even close! Can't wait to see them bigger.

scriving

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
the cuts
never ordered from you but always check your stocklist i must say very impressive

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store