Recommended fish to put with my current inhabitants on my 150 gallon

ZoltarSpeaks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2022
Hey there! I recently purchased a 150 gallon aquarium along with all of the filtration and setup required, which is a huge step up considering I've only ever had a 55 minus the larger DIY ponds I've built lol. I currently have 4 silver dollars, a common pleco, and a Jack Dempsey in the tank. That being said, I want to add a few more fish, nothing to make it too crowded but maybe a few other large specimens or even smaller guys that are more active since the Dempsey and Pleco hide most of the time unless the lights are off. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know, I love this hobby so much and I really wish I had a 250 because I'd love to keep a spotted gar or Arowana as they are my favorite type of freshwater fish. Let me know your thoughts! I really appreciate all the help.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome got the forum!
Tbh the common pleco complicated things a lot, the produce so much waste that it really reduces the amount of other fish that can go in the tank, effectively counting for multiple larger fish.
You could probably get a few more silvers or some other schooling fish.
I’d add some extra cover + dither fish to the tank as both encourage shy fish like the jd to come out more.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I would get rid of the pleco, and just increase the number of silvers dollars so there are at least 8 of them with the jack dempsey. Silver dollars act differently when in a group of 8 or more.

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
I would remove the common pleco as well. Plenty of far more attractive(and functional if algae eating is your concern) options that aren't huge bio-load machines.

If you love Gars then there are similar fish you can have. One of the smaller pickerals could work like the redfin or grass. You could also look at Asian needlefish which are even more gar-like. Medium sized pike cichlids potentially as well.

Gar like fish aside other medium aggression cichlids would be good. Lots of medium sized cichlid's you could go with like firemouths, convicts(no pairs), or some of the non-dwarf acaras. You could also look at larger more peaceful cichlids like Sevrums.

Truthfully you have a medium aggression mid sized cichlid with a school of fish too big for most things to eat in a 150 gallon. Your options are pretty huge especially if you rehome the pleco.

Reactions: jjohnwm and Deadeye

ZoltarSpeaks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2022
Hey guys sorry I’ve been inactive, thanks for all the posts. The tank is a 150 tall, and I really like the idea of pickerel I think that would be a sweet showcase fish to get, thanks for all the suggestions. I’d rather keep the pleco, he’s decent size already and has beautiful coloration.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The tank is a 150 tall, and I really like the idea of pickerel
I remember a small Pickerel was given to my Mother from her friend who went fishing for Bass. I remember how fast it caught goldfish feeders in a standard 125 gallon aquarium. I personally would put it in a longer aquarium.
What type of Pickerel is it?

ZoltarSpeaks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2022
I remember a small Pickerel was given to my Mother from her friend who went fishing for Bass. I remember how fast it caught goldfish feeders in a standard 125 gallon aquarium. I personally would put it in a longer aquarium.
What type of Pickerel is it?
Well the gentlemen above mentioned a red fin or a grass pickerel. I don’t even have one yet but that’s the plan. Might have to give away the silver dollars they’re still pretty small. I definitely wanna keep my JD and pleco though, and if they’re not compatible I don’t wanna risk it

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store