Red Belly Pirahna and Black Convict Cichlid

chaleng

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
green bay wisconsin
hello everyone i am here to get answers about my 5-6 in pirahna and 3 in. convict. I currently dont have enough tanks for the both of them so i put them in a 29 gal i was wondering if my pirahna would eat my convict or how can i live in peace together????? :help2::help2::help2::help2::help2::help2::help2::help2::help2::help2::help2::help2::help2::help2::help2::help2::help2::help2::help2::help2::help2::help2::help2:

koop171

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
ohio
that con will get ate if there isn't a divider. lots of people use cons for food for there RBP. so this one would get ate in time if the RBP can get to it.

cornbread_5

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2007
connecticut
i would not be to sure about that convicts are fiesty but one thing for sure is they should not be put together

koop171;2040486; said:
that con will get ate if there isn't a divider. lots of people use cons for food for there RBP. so this one would get ate in time if the RBP can get to it.

chaleng

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
green bay wisconsin
i left them together for one nite now and seems like they are finally getting along as tankmates but the convict does have some minor bite marks on its side but seems to be doing fine... hopefully they stay like this for long time

IKeepPacu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Long Island, New York
chaleng;2040781; said:
i left them together for one nite now and seems like they are finally getting along as tankmates but the convict does have some minor bite marks on its side but seems to be doing fine... hopefully they stay like this for long time
thats like asking an alchoholic not to take a drink while in a large brewery, or a drug addict not to take a hit while in a dope house. that P will outgrow the con, and it will become food.

this dosent go for just RBP. ANY predator that can fit another fish in its mouth, will most likely try and succeed one day.

• Haha
Reactions: King Pisces

dzb912

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2007
illinois
well normally certain cichlids can stay in with piranhas for a limited amount of time before the piranhas get either get big enough to eat them, or get hungary
ive talked to a guy who kept his rbp in with africans for life with no problems
which even tho it worked was realy dumb to do
now convicts are probobly the best cichlids to have with piranhas if you realy wanted to keep things with them
because theyre cheap, and not to agresive but not not docile
but nothing can be kept with piranhas safley
NOTHING
now lets talk about ur tank
a 29 gallon is sutible for a single rbp for life
the rule is 20g per piranha
but IMO 29/30g is best
now putting up a divider would take away so much room for a little convict
convicts ( as worthless as they are ) are one of my favorite fish
but if u realy wanted to keep it
i would just get another tank
or put it in with the piranha and within a few weeks surley it will be gone