Rhamphichthys rostratus - info?

pk705

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Slovenia
Googling didn't reveal much helpful info, nor did search :(.

Does anybody know any details about these? Diet, max size, temperament, etc.?

There appears to be some conflicting info about the max size (sizes 12" and 40" were both mentioned)...

aranos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2006
lawrence, KS
I've had two for a year and a half now. See below:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86215&highlight=trumpet+knives

Got them at about 7" and they're up to 9" on a steady diet of various worms (blood, black, tube); so slow growing. Don't know how big they'll max out at, but I've seen them at 12" before.

As far a temperament, they can easily get bullied by smaller aggressive fish. Mine are in with some congo and neon tetras and they're fine. Don't have too many loaches/other bottom feeders that will out-compete them for food on the bottom (although I've taught mine to eat out of a net at the surface). They will sleep all day and only come at night though... so make sure you're ok with that.

hope this helps

dbcb314

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Tallahassee
We have some at the lab that are 14-18 inches

they eat black worms at the lab

They get along fine with each other (actually "sleep" together on their sides) and with the other knives in the tank.

They simply don't move during the day. They just sleep. If food is offered, they will eventually wake up to eat.. but they are very slow to food.

As soon as the lights go off they wake up and start moving.

Red tail catking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2008
The white padded room
Would you know how they act when the lights are off? Like as in territorial and hunting wise?

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Apologies for rekindling but this is a bucket-list-fish & my importer's got a lead.

Is the husbandry recommendation a single, pair or half-dozen?
Did we get anywhere on max-size, as the front-to-back turnaround on the in-wall tank is only 18'
Food? benthic/buried creepers? Will take kibble?

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Apologies for rekindling but this is a bucket-list-fish & my importer's got a lead.

Is the husbandry recommendation a single, pair or half-dozen?
Did we get anywhere on max-size, as the front-to-back turnaround on the in-wall tank is only 18'
Food? benthic/buried creepers? Will take kibble?
Multiple seems best- I didn't notice any squabbling amongst the group of large ones at my LFS a couple years back; more often than not, multiple would lie next to one another and startling one would startle the others. My single specimen seemed to do well on its own, however.
Maximum size in aquaria is uncertain; they can reach 120cm+ (and turn a translucent greyish colour as they get bigger) but it likely takes multiple years- the large (~50cm?) specimen I had didn't grow an inch under the many months I kept it. Wouldn't be too worried if starting with a smaller specimen.
I think they'd be fine with f/t bloodworms, blackworms, earthworms, etc. That's what I fed mine, and no problems seemed to arise from that. Don't think they'd take dry prepared, but it'd be interesting to see if they will. No need to bury the food, as long as other tankmates don't snatch it away. Feeding in the middle of the night (~11pm-1am) seems to be best, as they're most active then. Younger juveniles may take food during the day, however. Smaller ones seem more active and responsive to stimuli.

Reactions: andyroo
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store