Rings on Figure 8 puffer fish?

DNordbak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I don't know if this is a problem or not, but I recently noticed that on one of my figure 8 puffer's belly, it has about 6 or 7 small rings on it. The only reason I noticed it is because my other one doesn't have it, so I'm just curious if that is a problem.
They are living in a fresh water 10 gallon tank, and have been eating normally.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Rings are common among multiple puffers kept together. They're bite marks.

Your puffers are a brackish water species. In freshwater, their lives are shorter and they're more prone to disease.

DNordbak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Alright, well I had kind of thought that they were bite marks, but just wanted it to make sure. Is it something I should be concerned about? The only time that they fight is during feeding, and that is just when a regular pecking order is established.

rweedon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
pullman washington
they are not a brackish water fish there was a big debate thread and they need to def. be kept in a bigger tank (see figure of 8) don't remember what forum it was in just do a general search...

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
rweedon said:
they are not a brackish water fish there was a big debate thread and they need to def. be kept in a bigger tank (see figure of 8) don't remember what forum it was in just do a general search...
From "The Puffers" Aqualog Series: This puffer is perhaps the most beautiful of all the brackish-water species.

Unfortunately, if kept long-term in fresh-water this species tends to be delicate and disease prone. By contrast Tetraodon biocellatus has proved to be hardy and resilient in brackish and marine aquaria.

I've kept figure-8s in fresh (very hard and alkaline) and brackish tanks. The puffers kept in brackish were more active and grew faster.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store