Riverine predator fish

MonsterAquaria

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2024
I’m looking for a riverine predator fish for 72 degree water the tank size is 300 gallons but I would prefer a fish that is smaller then 24”

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are a number of predatory Gobies that would fit that bill
Below is a young Gobiomorus dormitor, that reaches about 23"
If acquired young enough it can be taught to accept prepared foods.
IMG_2439.jpegIMG_9051.jpegIMG_9019.jpegIMG_3036.jpeg
Another related predator, goby , is Eleotris picta
IMG_1434.jpegIMG_3022.jpegIMG_1438.jpegIMG_0355.jpeg
Both the above species are lurk and strike predators, so they do a lot of sitting around and waiting for prey to get close, so "not" action packed, or animated, as is the case with many predators.
They both range from the southern US, south into S America.
Both the above, were caught in rivers in Panama, where they feast on the abundant tetras (and other Cyprinids) in those rivers

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
I’m looking for a riverine predator fish for 72 degree water the tank size is 300 gallons but I would prefer a fish that is smaller then 24”
Dorados fit the bill, but I would be hesitant with the activity levels.
Payaras actually come from areas with quite a bit of current, so those could be options.
Tor/hampala
Tiger fish

im not saying those would all be good fish for your tank, but monsters and predators that have that riverine look and benefit from a good bit of current

CichlidFiend

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2007
a school of brycon sp. i dont remember the specific species but there are a wide range of sizes

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Im considering a smallmouth bass for my 7x2x2 when it opens up next. Big male smallmouth are as beautiful a fish as any tropical species imo. 72 or even lower would be fine for them.

Reactions: Cal Amari

MonsterAquaria

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2024
Dorados fit the bill, but I would be hesitant with the activity levels.
Payaras actually come from areas with quite a bit of current, so those could be options.
Tor/hampala
Tiger fish

im not saying those would all be good fish for your tank, but monsters and predators that have that riverine look and benefit from a good bit of current
I would do payara but they like warmer water then my tank

Dorado might just work though because my tank is 10x3x2 yes that is a lot more then 300 gallons but I like to undershot tank size

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
I would do payara but they like warmer water then my tank

Dorado might just work though because my tank is 10x3x2 yes that is a lot more then 300 gallons but I like to undershot tank size
Oh yeah, I would totally grow out a group of Frankies for that. I’m a huge dorado fan, eventually want to make a pond for them. If you do decide to go that route keep us posted

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store