SAP Teeth Trim No Sedatives 201

J-P

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
Canada
1) I do not recommend this for all keepers. You have to have a very steady hand and be very accurate.
2) No, this is not for all puffers. I don't know what puffers it will work for and which ones it won't. When in doubt: MS-222 (aka finquel)
3) DO NOT LET THE LITTLE GUY OUT OF THE WATER! There is a distortion from your point of view to what is happening in the water. If you can't compensate then use MS-222 (aka finquel)

Ask Q's (questions) and you'll get A's (answers)

Hope you enjoy!

**Also this is part of the Puffer Care sticky that as I understand is in the works. This is considered an advanced approach. I am more afraid of the Meds than I am of my own hand so I chose NOT to sedate the puffers.**

If and when there comes a time for a sticky on SAP care, my other comments on this board are welcome also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCaAhLQ4T68

[YT]NCaAhLQ4T68[/YT]

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
That's one cooperative puffer you have there! I have no issues using Finquel, it's totally safe. It's even used to tranq puffers for shipment. The 1st time I clipped a puffer's teeth was without tranq. It ended badly:

NatashaAliza

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2009
Pance, Colombia
Wow, I agree with puffer punk you have a very cooperative puffer and very gentile hands :] But I just avoid the whole teeth trimming by feeding snails and crayfish :]
But sometimes its necessary and thank you for this good video.

J-P

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
Canada
Thanks for the comments! I found that once the puffer KNOWS it is trapped it doesn't fight. It may puff but doesn't try to escape. Once released it deflates rather quickly and goes about its business.

Thank you for making this a sticky! I wasn't expecting it. I was hoping it would be merged with other posts on the general banner "SAP Care", but I assume that can be done later.

the 101 would have been with Finquel. We still need a decent vid of sedation and trimming, feeding and tank / water quality to round out this tutorial. Also, any background info, sizing, etc... Which means that this thread would have to be dissected, cut up and re-organized later ;)

On a personal side, I'm surprised the vid hasn't been flagged for cruelty because someone will say that it hurts them. I have some microscope pics of the teeth after trimming (thanks PP for reminding me about that one) and you can see that no nerve endings were touched. These were origionally posted on http://http://www.**************.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24084&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=SAP+teeth&start=15

I can re-post them here but not sure how beneficial it would be.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
I requested it be stuck for the time being until we have a much better compilation of puffer database and link this as one of the references.

YVRdarb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Vancouver, BC
IMHO there really isn't need to trim their teeth without anesthetic; this is a bad practice.

MS222 is readily available, cheap, safe and effective.

The stress that you put on an already skittish fish would be tremendous not no mention that you run the risk of the puffer puffing on air and dieing as a result.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
+1

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store