Scabs on dogs face neck and head

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
My white boxer has several scabs one on the bottom of his neck. The top center of his head and a couple around his face. The one on top of his head is constantly getting busted open and my parents keep saying he’s okay even though there’s a bleeding gash roughly the size of a Gatorade bottle cap ontop of his head I’m in worried about it either getting infected and causing more problems or he keeps busting it open making it bigger and bigger until there’s permanent damage to his head. I told my mom he needs a bandage or cone or preferably both so that it can finally heal all the way and not bother him but they refuse and claim that putting only hydrogen peroxide on it is helping. What should I do.

Reactions: Bbuckley

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
My suggestion would be to call the vet and see what they have to say to your parents.

Good luck, I hope your dog doesn't get an infection.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I also recommend taking your boxer to the vet as the scabs could be due to a variety of issues such as an allergic reaction, fungal infection, 'hot spots', fleas or even ear mites if he's scratching his head or face a lot.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I also recommend taking your boxer to the vet as the scabs could be due to a variety of issues such as an allergic reaction, fungal infection, 'hot spots', fleas or even ear mites if he's scratching his head or face a lot.
Thank you. He does always scratch at his face a lot he also chews on his paws but I’ve never thought anything of it.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
My dog has really bad allergies seasonally, but one of his main ones is grass. His paws get irritated, and he will chew them, but chewing them all the way to blood is not normal.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
My dog has really bad allergies seasonally, but one of his main ones is grass. His paws get irritated, and he will chew them, but chewing them all the way to blood is not normal.
He hasn’t chewed his paws until they’re drenched in blood blue he has gotten scabs on and around his paws. My dog is allergic to a lot of stuff too so that’s most likely the cause for that. Could I put apple cider vinegar on his paws to help relieve them when I see him chewing them?

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
He hasn’t chewed his paws until they’re drenched in blood blue he has gotten scabs on and around his paws. My dog is allergic to a lot of stuff too so that’s most likely the cause for that. Could I put apple cider vinegar on his paws to help relieve them when I see him chewing them?
Not sure. I bathe him every few days.

Bbuckley

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2021
Untied Kingdom
Vets for sure, my mam and dad had a boxer that had a split pad on its paw. My mam tried to treat it herself but it only got worse and caused a lager problem in the long run. She nearly lost her foot and vets bills was more than double what it would of been if they had just gone at the start.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store