Schoutedeni puffer tankmate

CC N

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2021
Anyone have any suggestion for tankmate for some choutedeni puffer ? I saw some in my lfs shipment list and they seem pretty tempting. I have heard mixed result which some says they can live with almost any tank mate some other says they can be kept with caution ?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Being one of the most passive puffers, any peaceful fish too large to be eaten will work. Cory cats, large tetras and livebearers, plecos, and similar all can work.

Reactions: tlindsey

CC N

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2021
Can they be good tank mate for killifishes and similar sized fish ? I have some black pearl killis and a selection of loach. Will they work out ?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How large are the killies?
Good sized adults would probably be fine but any juveniles wouldn’t work out.
Loaches (depending on species) can work, but will be competition for the puffers for food (both are snail eaters).

Reactions: CC N

CC N

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2021
the killies are fully grown and i have no intention in breeding them. the loaches are mostly small botias so they are probably fine. Thanks for the information !

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
One disclaimer I will throw out is that puffers are predators, and they are unpredictable as a result. Keep them well fed to avoid issues.
I know P professorjimjam is keeping them with neocaridina shrimp (and I think guppies) with no issues for this reason.

Reactions: CC N

CC N

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2021
I called the lfs and turns out the schoutedenies are a custom order of another customer. I have signed my order but idk when will they arrive.

TheBtchWhisperersWife

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2013
MoCo, Maryland
Mine live in a 240 community with tons of other small and mid-sized fish. They're invertivores and their main foods are snails, dubia roaches, and freeze dried krill. They bite the **** out of me but never bother the other fish. They barely even chase shrimp I put in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store